cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Following a brief FA Cup hiatus, live league action returns to our screens with a vengeance this weekend, with Fantasy Football managers given the best possible view of a cast of talent challenging for the title.

Leaders Chelsea begin proceedings as they seek to extend their lead at the top of the table by claiming the points at Villa Park in Saturday’s evening kick-off. That’s followed on Sunday by a duo of matches that have "classic" stamped all over them. Liverpool’s “SAS” strike force checks in at Old Trafford to tackle an improved Manchester United, before we dip our toes into the cauldron of a north London derby in the day’s late kick-off.

John Terry

It’s difficult to look beyond Jose Mourinho’s charges for Saturday’s Midlands trip. Unbeaten in fourteen league outings, with just five goals conceded in that spell, Chelsea will be confident of shackling Paul Lambert’s side and hushing the Villa Park faithful. Christian Benteke (£9.0m) will undoubtedly be the big threat – a player capable of knocking over any defence on his day, the Belgian notched twice in his last league appearance against Norwich. Having scored eight goals over his final nine matches last season, Benteke will occupy John Terry (£7.0m) and the rest of the Blues defence but I have to tip an away win here, with the dazzling Eden Hazard (£8.8m) again the likely catalyst for another three points.

Luis Suarez

Liverpool’s visit to Old Trafford arrives just as David Moyes’ side hint at a mini-revival. Last weekend’s convincing win at West Brom suggested that United may yet finish the season with a flourish but Sunday’s collision with Liverpool threatens to de-rail all that. Quite simply, this match will depend on Moyes’ defence and their ability to nullify the huge threat of Luis Suarez (£9.9m) and Daniel Sturridge (£9.2m). If the pairing can be kept at bay, then Wayne Rooney (£9.6m) will have the opportunity to be a match-winner. Fresh from inking a new contract at Old Trafford, Rooney’s goal and assist return at the Hawthorns announced his return to form and, with doubts surrounding Robin van Persie’s form, it’s likely to be Rooney who carries the burden of United’s hopes on Sunday.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sunday’s events end with another unpredictable encounter, as Spurs host North London rivals Arsenal as they bid to dent their title hopes, whilst reviving their own fading ambitions for a top-four finish. Tim Sherwood’s side go into this match having been spanked 4-0 at Stamford Bridge, with a 3-1 setback in the Europa League to follow, meaning confidence will be at a low. Meanwhile Arsenal will have taken some comfort from their credible 1-1 draw in Munich on Tuesday. I’m tipping an away win, then, whilst earmarking Santi Cazorla (£8.7m) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (£5.0m) as the key men in the Gunners midfield. The Spaniard will need to step up in the absence of the injured Mesut Ozil and I see the former Malaga man as a pivotal figure in Sunday’s clash. As for Oxlade-Chamberlain, he’s making a late bid to claim a seat on the plane to Rio, with recent performances suggesting he can fulfill that ambition.

Rooney is my big player for the weekend, however. The United striker loves a big occasion and I can see him rising to Sunday’s scenario, providing the cutting edge and creativity that could well put the buffers on Liverpool’s title charge.