cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Silverlight no longer working - how to fix?

Hi there - I hope someone can help with this: I've been subscribing to NowTV for 2 months, and everything was working fine until today: when I tried to watch a programme, an error message appeared saying "Sorry you're not quite ready yet... need to install Silverlight". I uninstalled Silverlight (in case my copy was corrupt), went to the Microsoft office website and downloaded & installed again, rebooted PC and... "Sorry you're not quite ready yet..." again. I've looked on the forums and already followed the advice to adjust Silverlight permissions, etc; make sure it's enabled in plug-ins on Internet Explorer, and also followed the suggestion to rename the C-drive folder - nothing has worked - why was it working fine yesterday, but not today? Any help would be much appreciated! My PC runs on Windows 7, if that info is helpful. Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear that your having a bit of trouble.

Can I ask what browser your using ? If you can make sure that it is a 32 Bit version and not 64bit.

I would recommend you download the Firefox browser and make sure that Silverlight is set to Always Enable from within the Add-On's menu.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So many people have silverlight issues, i got fed up! If i were you if you have Windows 10 or 8 download the app on the Windows store. Its sleek and it streams the content in HD, no silverlight needed it so much better. Use the app and ask me if you need help installing the app.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

So many people have silverlight issues, i got fed up! If i were you if you have Windows 10 or 8 download the app on the Windows store. Its sleek and it streams the content in HD, no silverlight needed it so much better. Use the app and ask me if you need help installing the app.

Hi guys

I'm afraid I must echo what @Anonymous User has said if you have Windows 8 or Windows 10 you should not be using Silverlight any more. It's true that the Windows app is identified as a different device to Silverlight playback through a web browser. If you run into device management issues. NowTV can and will help you with this. And yep 720p HD playback is enabled in the Windows app.

The truth is Silverlight is not designed for use with Windows 8 or or Windows 10. In fact, the last major update that Microsoft Silverlight received was dated pre Windows 8. It hasn't received a major update in a long while. The only updates that Silverlight gets now is the odd security update and that's it. Silverlight is actually a dead technology and support for it will cease by the end of 2021. Some of the browsers which still support it are due to ditch Silverlight support by the end of the year, although it will be supported on Internet Explorer 11 all the way through to the very end.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I completely aggree @commanda6 I find it a shame when companies decide to use an old media player... It confusing and annoying at the same time. Sky Go still use it and really does confuse me why Sky keep on using ancient media player!!! ARGH

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help & advice - I've downloaded the Firefox browser and that recognises Silverlight, so every working again (touch wood!). As my laptop runs on Windows 7, I won't be able to follow the other suggestions of using the app, but thanks guys for the additional suggestions! 🙂