cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulsd
Advocate

What does an engineer install look like in terms of cables etc?

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help.

I was hoping to get now fibre broadband and was told I would need an engineer visit for installation. 

My question is what sort of cabling and drilling etc does the engineers usually need to do?

It is a rented property I've moved into and not keen to have new holes drilled all over the place. Or cables run along skirting boards etc.

Can someone advise if it is quite a tidy installation that can maybe use existing phone sockets.

It's a neat and tidy new build flat so keen not to make a mess.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi, @Paulsd 

A word of advice, if you don’t mind. If there is even the slightest possibility of holes being drilled through walls,  you need to talk to your landlord and get his ok. Read what your tenancy agreement says on the matter.

Jayach
Elite 3

If you have existing phone sockets (BT not Virgin) they will definitely use those. They won't want to drill holes any more than you.

As it is a new build, are you sure FTTP (full fibre) isn't available? Is there a box on the wall marked Openreach?

Paulsd
Advocate

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

There is no openreach box, other than the double phone socket, so I was unsure what would need done.

RoyB
Legend

@Paulsd 

You have existing phone sockets?

Do you have one of these?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wired-home-network/what-type-of-mas...

If so, an engineer may not even need to come to your flat, and can do everything that needs doing (swapping a few terminal connections) in the nearest green cabinet.

Or perhaps you have one of these?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

In which case, forget about Now, and find an ISP that can do full fibre (FTTP), instead of going backwards with Now’s part-fibre part-copper solution (FTTC).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Paulsd
Advocate

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I have one of the openreach master sockets with two sockets, the one in the middle on the link with one above with the broadband socket on top and the phone socket on the bottom.

Jayach
Elite 3

Then they will use that, so no need to do any drilling. They may not even need to visit, you can connect the router yourself. As you have a filtered socket, you will not need to use the filter Now supply.