cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box only displays 640x480 after the new update

As per the title, the update has caused the box to stop outputting 1920x1200. Changing manually between 720/16:9 in the settings does nothing and it will only display at 640x480.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact I am using an HDMI to DVI converter to watch on a monitor, but it worked fine until this update broke it. Is there a way to roll back to the last firmware version, I would prefer to do that as the layout in this update is crap anyway.

55 REPLIES 55
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

As per the title, the update has caused the box to stop outputting 1920x1200. Changing manually between 720/16:9 in the settings does nothing and it will only display at 640x480.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact I am using an HDMI to DVI converter to watch on a monitor, but it worked fine until this update broke it. Is there a way to roll back to the last firmware version, I would prefer to do that as the layout in this update is crap anyway.

Hi @Anonymous User

The white now TV box has a max video output of 1280x720 are you sure you didn't intend to post in the area for the black box. The box is intended to be connected to a TV via HDMI. It's not intended to be connected using converters. It could well be because you are using a converter. Smiley Sad 

You were quite lucky that it's been working properly. Up until now. Also, the black box can only output up to 1080p not 1920x1200. 

Do you have a TV you can connect it to instead?

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the reply, it's a white box and I'm pretty sure it can do 1920x1200 on the frontend but can only stream in 720p.

I don't think it's luck particularly as I've had it for years through several updates and it's only this one that's broken it!

And if I had a TV to plug it into I wouldn't be using it on a monitor 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should add, I've also tried the hidden menu and selected 'enable all resolutions'. While this now gives an option for '1080p HD TV', it will still only display 640x480.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,

thanks for the reply, it's a white box and I'm pretty sure it can do 1920x1200 on the frontend but can only stream in 720p.

I don't think it's luck particularly as I've had it for years through several updates and it's only this one that's broken it!

And if I had a TV to plug it into I wouldn't be using it on a monitor 😉

Hi @Anonymous User

if it's a white box, then it's max output is 720p, so I have no idea how you're managing to get 1920 x1200 Smiley Surprised

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hang  a minute. If you're using a PC monitor what video interface are you using to connect the monitor to a PC? Because if you're using DVI, HDMI or display port (including mini display port) and your PC has Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 you can use the now TV Windows app for the now TV side of things, the app can be downloaded from the Windows app store at no charge, but you will need a Microsoft account to download it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, it's not 1920x1200 - my mistake, it's actually 1920x1080. And I know it definitely does output this in the frontend this because my monitor is set to display 1:1 from the input and it fills the screen. It can only stream at 720p but the box upscales to 1080p as far as I'm aware.

The PC is only on Vista and connects via DVI (the monitor has no HDMI inputs), I'm aware I can watch Now TV on my PC through the web browser but I would rather not as it is pretty loud and burns a shed load of power even when idling, but thanks for the suggestion! Besides, I've already used up my max devices allowance so this is a no-go anyway.

Also it appears the other firmware server has been taken down, I can only select the 'release' server from the hidden menu. 😞

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, it's not 1920x1200 - my mistake, it's actually 1920x1080. And I know it definitely does output this in the frontend this because my monitor is set to display 1:1 from the input and it fills the screen. It can only stream at 720p but the box upscales to 1080p as far as I'm aware.

The PC is only on Vista and connects via DVI (the monitor has no HDMI inputs), I'm aware I can watch Now TV on my PC through the web browser but I would rather not as it is pretty loud and burns a shed load of power even when idling, but thanks for the suggestion! Besides, I've already used up my max devices allowance so this is a no-go anyway.

Also it appears the other firmware server has been taken down, I can only select the 'release' server from the hidden menu. 😞

Hi @Anonymous User 

Your monitor's display settings may well have something to do with the 1080p output. It's possible that the display settings on your monitor could be overriding the display settings on the box, but as you're using now TV white box which is based on the Roku LT it should not be capable of 1080p at all. Not even on the menu interface. Its max output is 720p without a shadow of a doubt. However, the black box is capable of 1080p on apps which support it, and also on the menu interface, but the now TV service itself  720p

I would recommend you try taking your monitor out of 1:1 mode your monitor. Ideally needs to be set to 16:9 nine or auto

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The 1:1 setting means the monitor displays the input at a 1:1 pixel ratio on the screen, this is nothing at all to do with the issue - it determines the upscaling internal to the monitor. ie. a 640x480 input at 1:1 on a 1920x1200 monitor means you get a tiny box in the middle of the screen, which is what I am seeing now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And the box DEFINITELY does do 1080p in the frontend. I know this because usually it boots up in 640x480 (I get a tiny box in the middle of my screen) then it switches to 1920x1080 when the frontend loads (it fills the screen). What I'm getting now is it boots up in 1280x720 (better looking than the old boot up screen) but then it switches to 640x480 when the frontend loads (again, tiny box in the middle of the screen).