Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV Licence

I've noticed your 'Help' section states

"I don’t watch Live Sports, Movies or Entertainment

If you only intend watching on demand movies and entertainment, and not live sports, movies or entertainment on NOW TV, and you don’t have a TV licence, then you’ll need to inform TV Licensing of this."

Can I just point out you are under no obligation to tell BBC TV Licensing anything as discussed in Parliament.  All you need to do is cancel the Licence and stop payments to them & from that point have zero communication with their sales staff

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/

18 REPLIES 18
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've noticed your 'Help' section states

"I don’t watch Live Sports, Movies or Entertainment

If you only intend watching on demand movies and entertainment, and not live sports, movies or entertainment on NOW TV, and you don’t have a TV licence, then you’ll need to inform TV Licensing of this."

Can I just point out you are under no obligation to tell BBC TV Licensing anything as discussed in Parliament.  All you need to do is cancel the Licence and stop payments to them & from that point have zero communication with their sales staff

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Can I just point out the following

"Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

What this in effect means is that having a TV licence gives you the legal right to watch and record TV programs on any channel so I would not recommend to anybody that they cancel their TV licence. If you cancel your TV licence and are still recording or watching TV programmes on any channel, regardless of whether it is the BBC or not you are breaking the law.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

commanda6 you need to know the law before commenting, you're only required to own a BBC TV Licence if you watch 'live' feeds'.  

It helps to know...............your not one of those 'kudos' chasers are you?

Anyone that doesn't need a BBC TV Licence can visit the TV Licence Resistance website for more information, you don't have to follow the brainwashed 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

commanda6 you need to know the law before commenting, you're only required to own a BBC TV Licence if you watch 'live' feeds'.  

It helps to know...............your not one of those 'kudos' chasers are you?

Anyone that doesn't need a BBC TV Licence can visit the TV Licence Resistance website for more information, you don't have to follow the brainwashed 

Hi @Anonymous User and @Anonymous User

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit more Smiley Happy

Following is taken from the  URL listed below

"A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television equipment to receive (i.e. watch or record) live TV programmes, regardless of which channel you're watching, which device you are using (TV, computer, laptop, mobile phone or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or any other way).

The licence fee is not a subscription to watch BBC programmes but mandated by law. Under the Communications Act 2003, the BBC in its role as the licensing authority has a duty to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

Click the link and then go to the "Do I need a TV licence if I don't watch BBC programmes" section

If what I said above wasn't correct. I wouldn't have said it. So whilst of the BBC does receive most of the licence fee TV licence is a legal requirement in order to watch or record any TV in the UK, regardless of what channel you are watching or how you are receiving the channel

Hope that clears things up Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't need anything clearly up from a 'kudos' chaser, I know what the law is and so does the BBC where the screenshot was taken!

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ103

Please note you wont get any 'kudos' from me so please stop trolling the thread.  I have never had a BBC TV Licence and I'm well within the law so you may not like the fact I don't contribute towards your viewing habits but its 100% legal.

I also note you've included the forum manager in your reply, I'm seen people like you on forums before & I'm sure others know what I mean...............you wont bully this person by kissing up to the admin

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I I am not trolling, I simply wanted to make sure that everyone knew all the facts and the reason why I copied in @Anonymous User Was to make sure that now TV could update their advice if necessary. 

You are correct that as long as you are not watching any live TV channel content in the UK you do not need a TV licence. Although that is a loophole which they might eventually close. Smiley Mad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User there's no need to be like that. @commanda6 was trying to help, just like you.

As for "kudos chasing", commanda6 and a number of other customers help a heck of a lot of people on this site, every day, in their own personal time. They're welcome to share their views wherever they want, and if you think they're breaking the rules, feel free to click the report buttons on any of their posts and I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I have come on  this forum for help and information regarding TV licences and it would have been more beneficial if you actually put the two having their keyboard battle straight and answered the original question of the thread rather than assuring @Anonymous User that @commanda6 was not a kudos chaser. That would have resolved the original question, who was right or wrong and future readers like myself being able to find the answers that we require rather than it being a big minefield of peoples opinions of what is right.

I will ask the question in a more simple way.

I have a television and a NowTV box, nothing else, do I need to pay for a tv licence to be legal or am I breaking the law? Even if I do not intend to watch "live" and only use it for catch up purposes is it still a legal requirement as I have the facility to watch TV?

I am assuming it is as my theory is somewhere higher up the food chain NowTV are being paid to add the "live" option on the box (as well as all the other TV apps) to eliminate any options of being able to watch any catch up TV without a licence.

Your help would be very much appreciated. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You only need a BBC TV Licence if you watch the 'LIVE' feeds. So if you only watch catchup you don't need to pay the BBC. This law only exist to fund the BBC who have a monopoly on the topic and a protection racket (pay us or else)

If you need more info visit http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's all in this faq http://help.nowtv.com/article/TV-Licence