cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you’re reading this you probably love sport, as do I. Watching top level sport may be a passive activity but to get the best out of viewing sport you must be involved and have some emotional investment in the outcome of a contest. Sure it’s easy when you’re an over-excited fan following your heroes but what do you do if you don’t hold a tribal allegiance to a team or an individual to identify and engage with? Don’t give me that ‘may the best team win’ baloney because I’m not buying it.  I say ‘nail your colours to the mast’, choose a side and be damned…

Whose side are you on?

The Masters Golf: Okay, I know we’re all meant to be rooting for Rory McIlroy but where’s the fun in supporting the World’s number one player on his quest for yet another win. And then there’s the host of American’s such as Bubba, Rickie and Patrick with all their “In the hole” and ‘over-pumped’ nonsense which I find a bit OTT. No thanks. For me, I like to expect the unexpected when it comes to sport and I’m always on the lookout for stories of redemption to get me going. That’s why I’m going big game hunting with Team Tiger this weekend.

In a former life, Tiger Woods was so good he transcended the golfing universe like Galactus with a 9-iron. Now, after some well publicized upheaval in his personal life and a succession of injuries, he’s dropped out of the world’s top 100 and widely regarded as ‘yesterday’s man’. Can he do the impossible and win his first major since 2008? I certainly hope so.

TIGER TO ROAR

Will there be a surprise in the pack.

The Chinese GP: Don’t get me wrong, Lewis Hamilton is a great racing driver who thoroughly deserves his title of ‘Double World Champion’. It’s just that I like my Formula 1 rivalries to be cross-team ones rather than inter-team like last year’s Mercedes-fest. Although the Hamilton versus Rosberg duel was cranked up to the max, watching the Silver Arrows out in front race after race became a little tedious if I’m honest.

That’s why it was so refreshing to see four-time World Champion and his Prancing Horse back in the game at last month’s Malaysian GP. After Sebastian Vettel’s barren season with Red Bull last year, his overwhelming joy at winning in Sepang brought an element of fun back into the competition while breaking up the Mercedes monopoly. What’s more, I just love the Italian national anthem.

FORZA FERRARI

He's a proper Charlie this one.

QPR v Chelsea:

Okay, where to start with Jose Mourinho and his merry men in royal blue. Chelsea started off the season like a house on fire, winning games with nonchalant ease and scoring a hatful of goals. They were even being touted as one of the best ever teams in Premier League history, tipped to go through the season unbeaten and even win the fabled quadruple. Now they are stumbling towards the title like a drunk man with his shoe laces tied together nervously glancing over his shoulder shouting wildly about conspiracy theories.

On the other side of West London, the Super Hoops have been everything but. Unable to buy a win away from home and a sketchy record in the claustrophobic environs of Loftus Road, they finally said goodbye to serial car-interviewee Harry Redknapp and upgraded Chris Ramsey into the hot seat. Although he gained a first away win in his first game in a classic case of beginner’s luck, it’s been a difficult journey for the rookie boss but things have suddenly taken an upturn at a crucial part of the season and just in time for Chelsea.

COME ON YOU R’s

Blue or red?

The Manchester derby : Two times a year the two tribes of Manchester convene in a battle to colour the City in red or blue. The animosity is real and the rivalry has had a keener edge since City started lording it over their more illustrious neighbours. So here’s the deal… much as I’ve enjoyed the United’s great drop into mediocrity under David Moyes and the sudden disappearance of their over-indulged fans, I realise they’re on the way back up and starting to play some decent stuff.

On the other hand, the Citizens seem to have lost their sheen of likeability they had when they were poor, on the field and off. Although hearing Manuel Pellegrini say “We have arrived at a bad moment” makes me laugh uncontrollably, on this occasion I hope they paint Old Trafford blue and put Van Gaal’s philosophy in a box marked ‘Welcome to Manchester.’

COME ON CITY