cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acw97
Advocate

Why do I have to pay £60 for no reason?

I've been a broadband customer for 2 years and coming up to the end of my yearly contract. Though I would usually just start another 12 month contract, I'm moving abroad in October so it doesn't make sense to.

I called to ask what my options are, and was told I would need to pay a £60 activation fee to start a rolling contract. I don't really understand why I should pay £60 when I've already been a customer for two years? 

If I start a 12 month contract and then cancel in October I'll have to pay an early termination fee. So am I just screwed out of money either way?

Anyone else experienced something similar and managed to find a solution?

2 REPLIES 2
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@acw97 

Have a nosy at the second drop down in this link. My guess is the ‘do nothing’ and you’ll move onto a rolling contract.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/end-of-broadband-contract

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@acw97 

I second @gavs82008 ‘s advice, but watch out for Now trying to double your ongoing price by ceasing certain discounts you get.

Now Broadband generally won’t press you for early termination charges if they can’t supply you with broadband at your new address(!), so you might be able to renew normally, and rely on that.

But best ask them; ideally, to just roll on at £24.50 until October, or a new contract you can leave without penalty in October. But if push comes to shove, £24.50 plus a £10.00 share of that £60.00 is still better than the £46.50 which Now would like you to pay to roll on, if you can’t negotiate a better price than that, for the rump of your stay here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.