cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does live US Golf not start until 6pm everyday?

Seems odd to me that the first players are teeing off now (around 12.45pm) yet there is no coverage until 6pm. And it finishes at 2am, which uness the last groups spend over five hours on their rounds seems pretty late.  Also with two sets teeing off starting at holes 1 and 10 it's not as if they would have to wait too long for players to get to the last holes if they aren't covering some of the holes.

From Sky Sports website - There's featured group action for the first two rounds from 1.30pm on the Sky Sports 4 red button, Sky Sports Xtra and the Sky Sports for iPad app.    Does Sky Sports Xtra still exist?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

This was just how the sheduling was done when the TV rights were agreed. There is a program starting at 2pm relating to the U.S Open on Sky Sports 4 which will have content from the Open available 🙂

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

This was just how the sheduling was done when the TV rights were agreed. There is a program starting at 2pm relating to the U.S Open on Sky Sports 4 which will have content from the Open available 🙂

@Anonymous User  I could understand the 6pm start for third and fourth rounds as leaders woudn't come out until later but for the first two rounds it is ridiculous as there is every chance that the eventual winner will card a score in the mid-60s that would only be shown as highlights.  

The BBC used to tee off first thing in the morning at silly o'clock with The Open (and I guess Sky will as well), so I would have expected similar from the US Open coverage and it is on a time far more suited to us on this side of the pond.

I think the 2pm show is just a preview rather than live coverage and it is followed by some official films of the 2011 and 2016 US Opens.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User drives me mad too. 7 dedicated channels to sport and none of them had anything live, but if you've got real Sky press the red button or load the app to watch the golf.

Fair enough if there are 8 football games being played at the same time, stick some behind the red button, but I paid for a week of Sky Sports to watch 4 full days of golf, instead two half days are hidden.

And don't get me started on Sky Sports Mix!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User drives me mad too. 7 dedicated channels to sport and none of them had anything live, but if you've got real Sky press the red button or load the app to watch the golf.

Fair enough if there are 8 football games being played at the same time, stick some behind the red button, but I paid for a week of Sky Sports to watch 4 full days of golf, instead two half days are hidden.

@Anonymous User   I don't understand why they can't have some of that red button coverage on SS4.  Just follow any group around, or switch to the most interesting group as things develop.

Take today...

1351: Bubba Watson, Sergio Garcia (Spa), Adam Scott (Aus)

1413: Jimmy Walker, Justin Thomas, Paul Casey (Eng)

1424: Jason Day (Aus), Justin Rose (Eng), Rory McIlroy (NI)

A trio of threesomes which loook pretty interesting but they won't be shown live.  Instead Sky show the official film of the 2015 US Open (sigh).  

Ricky Fowler's 7 under par 65 teed off at around 2pm yesterday.  And Spieth and Johnson teed off at around half past.  But on SS4 the official films of 2010 and 2016!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

1413: Jimmy Walker, Justin Thomas, Paul Casey (Eng)

This really wasn't worth broadcasting was it?  (sigh)

...the Englishman worked his way back from a four-stroke deficit and into a share of the lead at the U.S. Open.Casey birdied five straight holes before a 32-foot putt for birdie No. 6 strayed a foot left of the hole at the par-4 fourth. He tapped in for par. Casey is tied with Rickie Fowler at 7 under for the lead.

It was this beautiful 3-iron on the 515-yard, par-4 3rd (his 12th hole of the day) that set Casey up for the birdie which gave him a share of the lead. It's a nice comeback for Casey after he triple bogeyed the par-5 14th and shot 38 on the back nine.