cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jahanova
Advocate

No master socket only Openreach

I signed up to the now broadband package as it was one of the few that did a monthly contract (with an £70 fee) and I am moving in a few months but needed a new broadband provider. My hub has arrived and today is my activation day so I started getting everything ready only to find that the hub does not connect to the socket I have. 

Looking at other posts on here I have now learnt about open reach ont and different types of fibre. I foolishly assumed the checker on the website when I signed up would have pointed me in the right direction.

It seems I have signed up to copper fiber but only have connection for the other kind (ie i have an Openreach ont and no master socket). 

The engineer is due to come today so I’m just wondering what my options are. Will the engineer reconnect the copper connection to the property leaving me without a socket (as they are not due to enter the property)? Is my only option to cancel my account and start again with someone else? On the monthly contract if I cancel before it starts is there any chance of getting a refund on the £70? 

Thanks in advance for any help, very stressed and now helplines don’t open for another few hours. 

1 REPLY 1
RoyB
Legend

@jahanova 

The checker will have reported that Super Fibre or Fab Fibre is available at your premises, but would have been unable to check that the existing socket was suitable.

But Openreach should have known, from their records, and planned to attend your premises and fit a Master Socket, for which the copper is still hopefully in place.

But as Now are open now, no doubt you have already been able to contact them to get this resolved.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.