cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rarna
Mentor

Why am I blocked? Just an expensive headache!

I keep getting a message saying I am blocked from viewing as I am using too many devices.

But I only have one device!

Is this a cookie issue? I have tried signing out of all devices in my account settings, still got the message.

I tried logging out entirely and back in again, still got the message.

I tried rebooting my whole computer, still got the message. 

I am the only person who knows this account and password, and I only have one device which I use to watch things. 

I am also repeatedly getting emails to ask me if I logged in from a different device?! I never had this trouble with other streaming sites.

I have literally only had this account for a couple of weeks, and honestly I won't renew my membership. It is more expensive than the other streaming service I was using, And yet despite me paying more, I have to be exposed to continual adverts. And the service is not as good. The technology is awful, no option to skip intros, and at the end of each episode, it takes ages before you get the option to go to the next one, and now this silly glitch with it not recognising my device, and thinking I am using more than one. Just an expensive headache. 

• PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Rarna 

You NEVER speak to staff on here, so yes I hate to say that you're shouting into the void. As for the bots, they are indeed unhelpful, however another customer has found a way to get through the bot to a member of staff to talk to. See the thread below.
Get Help Quicker

The thing with PC watching via the browser is each time you log back in it assumes you are a brand new device. So you doing all the shutting down, clearing of cookies etc will have zero effect I am afraid. 

All I know is you need to wait up to 10 minutes before you can start on a "new device" if you do not exit the stream cleanly. By that I mean NOT closing the browser, but hitting back until you get back to the homepage. This forces a push through to NOW saying you have stopped watching on that device. Thus allowing you instant moving onto another device. 

If you do not exit the stream correctly then you are stuffed I am afraid. Unless you take out boost. 
https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

To be safe and for a clean slate jump onto live chat and ask for ALL devices to be removed from your account. Make sure to click 'chat online' within the green box, if you hit 'get help quicker' then that takes you to the bot.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rarna
Mentor

No surprises here, I'm just shouting into the void.

I will add though, in case a bot reads it one day... customer service on my cheaper streaming service was answered in 10 mins by a human! 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Rarna 

You NEVER speak to staff on here, so yes I hate to say that you're shouting into the void. As for the bots, they are indeed unhelpful, however another customer has found a way to get through the bot to a member of staff to talk to. See the thread below.
Get Help Quicker

The thing with PC watching via the browser is each time you log back in it assumes you are a brand new device. So you doing all the shutting down, clearing of cookies etc will have zero effect I am afraid. 

All I know is you need to wait up to 10 minutes before you can start on a "new device" if you do not exit the stream cleanly. By that I mean NOT closing the browser, but hitting back until you get back to the homepage. This forces a push through to NOW saying you have stopped watching on that device. Thus allowing you instant moving onto another device. 

If you do not exit the stream correctly then you are stuffed I am afraid. Unless you take out boost. 
https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

To be safe and for a clean slate jump onto live chat and ask for ALL devices to be removed from your account. Make sure to click 'chat online' within the green box, if you hit 'get help quicker' then that takes you to the bot.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Rarna
Mentor

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this. I will try to do that in future. I really appreciate that you did answer, and also that you have given me so much useful information. They should be paying you.

However I still stand by what I said originally, this never happens on other sites, so this NOW site needs to plough some of their obviously obscene profits into making their site work properly. It's lazy programming on the part of the website developers and a lack of effort in market research to see what their competitors are doing better. 

RoyB
Legend

@Rarna 

Now is Sky’s bargain basement.

As such they are discouraged from competing with Sky Glass (Ground Floor) and Sky Q (First Floor).

Did somebody mention Peacock? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.