cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redchiz1
Champion 2

Disney raises concerns over subscription reminder emails

Interesting. Another example of unforeseen consequences/careful what you wish for? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65973101

4 REPLIES 4
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @redchiz1 

I think Disney's argument against the reminder emails every six months is rather weak. However, I think they do have a point about the idea of a 14 day cooling off period.

I think legislators may be flirting with the idea of a 14 day calling off. For subscription services because annual subscriptions are becoming more common and services are increasingly not offering free trials. I think legislators are considering this because it would basically in all but name legally oblige services to offer free trials. I can see the principle behind it, but as you state above, there will  probably be unforeseen consequences's.

If legislators are insistent on doing this, then it should only apply to annual subscriptions. It would be inappropriate for it to apply to a monthly subscription. But of course the consequence, as that would then be services would stop providing annual subscriptions , which of course are  up to 30% cheaper  depending on the service in question. So again, be careful what you wish for.

I could perhaps get behind this idea more if they made it apply to ad supported subscriptions like the one Netflix now has, as even if you cancel within 14 days they would still have made money out of serving you advertising and could act as somewhat of a counterbalance to the rise of ad supported subscription services

This definitely gives food for thought, doesn't it.this is just me thinking out loud. I'm not necessarily saying that applying a 14 day cooling off period to ad supported subscription services is a good idea, as I'm sure the scene consequences would arise from this as well, even if it did act as a counterbalance to the rise of such services

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Aye @commanda6 plenty of food for thought. Talking of Disney specifically, though, they have always issued reminders to me in the past. So for their part they do have the proverbial leg to stand on. Unlike, maybe, others. 

RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 @redchiz1 

Now seem to be able to tell if a subscription has been used or not, and Disney ought to be able to do the same.

That being the case, it would seem fair to me that streaming providers not be required to email currently active subscribers, but should email inactive subscribers after they have been inactive for three months. And, unless the user replies within one month to say that the subscription should continue, to terminate it at the end of the fourth month.

The present rules with the cooling off period seem to be that the normal distance selling rules don’t apply because users want their subscriptions to start immediately. Fair enough.

But the safety belt is that if the user does want to stop within the 14-day cooling off period, then they can, but they pay pro-rata for the days they have already had.

If that is not enough to dissuade the ‘start-stop’ brigade though, a rule that if you have done this twice*, then you must wait out the cooling-off period of 14 days before the next subscription can be paid for and start should nip this behaviour in the bud.

*twice because once could be a genuine accident, but twice is unlikely to be.

Another rule that is needed, and isn’t mentioned in the article, is that any ‘free sample’ subscriptions people are offered alongside a paid offer they are taking up, must lapse when the trial period is over, rather than becoming a further paid subscription by inertia, unless the customer actively signs up to the fess sample product during that period. Like Boost, for instance….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

fess=free

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.