cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box only displays 640x480 after the new update

As per the title, the update has caused the box to stop outputting 1920x1200. Changing manually between 720/16:9 in the settings does nothing and it will only display at 640x480.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact I am using an HDMI to DVI converter to watch on a monitor, but it worked fine until this update broke it. Is there a way to roll back to the last firmware version, I would prefer to do that as the layout in this update is crap anyway.

55 REPLIES 55
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

FYI I have a home-built watercooled Intel i7 running at 4.2 GHz so I can tell the difference, thanks.

Hi @Anonymous User 

Well, back in the day. Some of the Intel atom processors did struggle to run word Smiley Sad the PC I run uses an Intel fourth gen i7, 16 gig ram and an Nvidia GTX 970 and a 500GB SSD boot drive So yes, I'm a bit of PC nutt as well Smiley Very Happy

I wouldn't have given that PC as a suggestion. Had I known you were running an Intel i7 Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nice, I'm still running a 1st gen nehalem based i7 hence the reason I'd rather not use it for the trivial task of watching now tv; it's one of the most inefficient, power hungry CPUs ever created and it's coupled with a GTX 480 which is one of the most inefficient GPUs ever created, it practically eats baby seals as soon as it's turned on.

Sorry if I came across a bit snappy, I just hate Celerons that much 😉

btw. I dunno if you're aware of it but Nvidia announced the 1070 and 1080 yesterday, check it out - it's amazing how much tech can move forward in one generation. I'm sure by this point everyone else on here thinks we're a bit weird so I'll stop now.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

A good quality GPU that offers onboard MPEG2, MPEG-4 AVC and HEVC decoding is most important when building a HTPC.

Personally I favour nVidia, primarily because they tend to offer multiple output video frequencies, including 50Hz, which is vital for viewing UK television, including NOW TV content correctly 😉

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

A good quality GPU that offers onboard MPEG2, MPEG-4 AVC and HEVC decoding is most important when building a HTPC.

Personally I favour nVidia, primarily because they tend to offer multiple output video frequencies, including 50Hz, which is vital for viewing UK television, including NOW TV content correctly 😉

@SeeMoreDigital all GPU types including integrated ones can now decode/playback H264/MPEG-4 AVC , but you're right about H265 and VP9 . Usually these require more powerful kit.

VP9 , is what YouTube uses these days. Although Google still recommends that videos are uploaded in H264, Google systems, then take the asset you have uploaded and make a  VP9 version. YouTube will always play the VP9 version if it can. but VP9 playback isn't supported in all web browsers yet. VP9 is usually used with the webm container format.

However, to encode video a powerful CPU and GPU is recommended, including video often takes a while even then Smiley Wink

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

However, to encode video a powerful CPU and GPU is recommended, including video often takes a while even then Smiley Wink

sorry, I meant encoding

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User ah makes sense, I know we don't all have unlimited space / funds etc, I am kind of the same yet opposite, in that I try to do really impractical things to avoid having to buy a PC or laptop!
Legend 5
Legend 5

Morbias from a space perspective have you considered a small projector? I don't obviously know your wall space/ if it is plain. Again I don't know how clear output would be.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it would really work with the way the room's laid out, it's one of those awkward rooms where nothing fits in properly.

A projector would be kind of awesome though, but then again I would never get away with it lol

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same problem! I have a white box and my TV has always automatically changed to the widescreen, even if for a second it was on the smaller setting. I am so very disappointed. Have had to manually change the setting to widescreen. Please sort this!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear that your having issues with the display type on your NOW TV Box.

From the main menu can you come down to settings and then display.

Change the display setting to something different than it is now, save the changes and then repeat the steps but change it back to what it was on originally.

Let us know if that resolves the issue or if still the same.

Thanks

Andy