cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports News HQ App delay

What are Now TV doing about the 4 minute delay that appears whenever you use the app?

It has been reported before by more than me but nothing seems to be done about it.

As I have posted this it apparently is 2:54pm
12 REPLIES 12
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

It's a similar situation when you navigate to the Sky News - UK 'Watch Live' icon. It's around 75 seconds behind the actual live transmission...

Cheers

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

There can occasionaly be a slight delay as your streaming content over an internet connection. 

Thanks, 

Karl 

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Karl. A 4 minute delay isn't a slight delay on live sport.

What delay has to be accepted? What delay is too long and what are the troubleshooting steps to solve it?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the huge delay on the Sports HQ app has been gone for months, of course there is still a 10-60second delay to allow for transmission and buffering. Have you tried restarting the stream? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for taking time to reply. It seems to be 4 minutes behind live from the outset.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having now looked at the feed on my iphone versus casting it onto the TV, it seems that 3 minutes of the 4 minute delay is caused by casting it onto the screen versus watching it on the phone.

Is that smething that has to be lived with or is there a way to fix it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Unfortunately there isn't a way to fix this. 

The video that appears on the device you're watching on has to be encoded and encrypted on-the-fly, so there's going to be a delay compared to a conventional terrestrial broadcast.

The delay is less on mobile because the bitrate is much lower, as it displays on a much smaller screen and doesn't need to be as high.  When you cast using Chromecast, the Chromecast connects directly to us, rather than using the mobile stream.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to resurrect but this is rather frustrating. It's not possible to use Twitter while watching live sport with a one minute lag. I haven't checked, but I'm not aware this is an issue with iPlayer so there must be something that can be done?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to resurrect but this is rather frustrating. It's not possible to use Twitter while watching live sport with a one minute lag. I haven't checked, but I'm not aware this is an issue with iPlayer so there must be something that can be done?

There is lag on IPlayer of about a minute as well (I am watching Olympic Boxing on both TV and iPlayer with the countdown clock).  There is even a five second lag on HD compared to SD on my Virgin Media TiVo box.    Even satellite and digital radio have lag.  The closest you can get to real time in the UK these days is AM/FM radio, but even with that if transmissions are over satellite you still get an extra 0.25 second lag.  Best not use twitter at same time.   Or online betting.