cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kayree
Mentor

Can't watch any programmes through my NOW / Firestick connections on my TV

Hi,
Everything was working fine but now when I switch to NOW on my TV and select a channel from terrestrial TV like ITV or C4, I can see and hear the ads, but when the prog starts I get a spinning circle and error message saying 'Oops.  Something went wrong.  Try again in a few minutes'.  That was days ago.  I was never able to watch anything.  Now, when I try, all I get is a black screen.

Similarly, if I try to access terrestrial channels via NOW TV, I can't, because they have all disappeared.  All I am offered is Netflix, Sky and other paying channels.

I'd really like to be able to watch catch up programmes on my TV again.  Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?  Or has NOW simply stopped offering this service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Kayree 

Terrestrial channels only come from your TV, but perhaps you mean the catchup services provided by those channels?

Which should be available as options on a Now Stick or a Firestick plugged into your TV, if you switch the TV to whichever HDMI input the Stick is plugged into.

For the oops issue, make sure the date/time shown on the stick is correct.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing from the Stick?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Kayree 

There is no such thing as NOW fire stick. The only Fire stick there is relates directly to Amazon.

Is this an Amazon fire stick or NOW stick?

Have you made sure that the stick is fully updated?

Have you tried unplugging it for a few minutes?

Do you have boost by any chance?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Kayree
Mentor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I've now solved the problem by removing the firestick (which says NOW TV on it and was purchased from Amazon), and pressing the reset button which I am guessing updates it.  There is no date or any other info on it.  I'm just happy it's working again.

RoyB
Legend

@Kayree 

Glad you got it working again!

Just to save some confusion (yours and ours!) these devices are known generically as Sticks, not firesticks.  Amazon calls its sticks Firestcks; Now calls its sticks Now Sticks.

Now Sticks are customised Roku sticks; I suppose it’s possible you got yours off Amazon, as Amazon is happy to sell you anything, even products from its rivals 😛

You can’t buy new Now Sticks in the UK any more, as Now stopped supplying them. Roku still sell a Roku Stick, but their entry level devices, the Express HD and Express 4K, are little gizmos you can stick under the bezel of your TV, or just set out on a shelf.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Kayree 

Terrestrial channels only come from your TV, but perhaps you mean the catchup services provided by those channels?

Which should be available as options on a Now Stick or a Firestick plugged into your TV, if you switch the TV to whichever HDMI input the Stick is plugged into.

For the oops issue, make sure the date/time shown on the stick is correct.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing from the Stick?

Kayree
Mentor

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and help.  Yes, everything was as you described in first two paragraphs.  I could watch catch up TV using the Amazon firestick.  I will check it for date and time - didn't know about that, and will post you a screenshot.  Hopefully if date and time are wrong (although how would that happen?), you could advise me on how to correct it.  Meanwhile, I've done all the usual switching off and unplugging, which didn't help so hopefully the problem somehow occurred with the firestick.

Kayree
Mentor

Hello again,

I couldn't see a date or time on the firestick, but there was a reset button which I pressed and held for a few seconds.  A blue light appeared.  I plugged it back into the TV and hey presto!  It's all working again!  It was that simple.  So thank you for your suggestion as I probably wouldn't have done that myself.  By the way, the Firestick has NOW TV printed on it.