cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Upgraded OS for the White Box

Dear Forum Members

At 4.12pm today (6th May) my white box OS was upgraded from 6.1 to 7.0 - Build 9593, and cosmetically it looks quite good.  I'm guessing here but I think the look (and probably feel) is now more in-line with the Black Box OS.

However, and more importantly, I don't know if anything under the hood has changed, may be someone from the Now TV Team will highlight the updates, facilities or improvements  that's been included in OS 7.0.

One good thing I can definitely point to is that my installation of Plex is still installed and unaffected, I had read in this forum that past OS upgrades had deleted Plex necessitating a re-installation, this thought had me slightly worried.

UK Bob

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there anyway to downgrade and removed the recent update on a  white box and then prevent it from updating?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi W87

You asked, "Is there anyway to downgrade and removed the recent update.......?"

No there isn't, there are no user controls to the kind of level needed to perform such an operation nor is there any way to re-access OS6.1. 

If you don't mind explaining, why do you want to go back to OS6.1?   As far as I can tell, all the apps/channels problems the white box had are now gone, e.g. Crunchy Roll now works properly, likewise so does  YouTube  and there has been a speed increase and better responsiveness since the update to OS7.0.  

So why would you be willing to throw the benefits of OS7.0 away?

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I couldn't have put that any better myselfSmiley Happy the YouTube problem on earlier versions of the OS was particularly annoying

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

OS7 has knackered my white box as it has changed the resolution output to 480 x 640 and removed the 1080 output option.  It's connected via the Now TV AV cable, not HDMI and using a HDMI device is not an option.

I want to wipe the box and put back the old software which worked perfectly before.  Not interested in any other apps, just want the Now TV app to work correctly before this flawed update.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @commanda6

Hi W87

I found a previous post of yours and this, along with your current post, has given me a somewhat clearer picture of how you are using the white box.

OK, first of all you have used the hidden menu options to access facilities not part of the official specifications and so not covered by any guarantee. 

Secondly, because you are using the box outside of it's official specs you are unlikely to get any form of official help.

Third, you said that OS7.0 has knackered your box, e.g. removing 1080p but that option is not officially available to white box users, so in effect you have no right to demand that facility. However, it could be argued that OS7.0 is actually putting your box back towards it's official specs, but there is no explanation for your 640 x 480 resolution.

Finally, maybe there is someone out there that knows how to mod the box but that would be totally unofficial, however because you want to use the box outside of it's specs then you are on your own.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Conversely it could be argued that the white box has AV for a reason and wsnililu87jj shouldn't have to resort to ridiculous workarounds to get it working in the first place...

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Morbias

I think you are wrong, W87 is running his box outside of it's official specs, i.e. 1080p, and using the AV function of the box is perfectly OK but that is not why he is having problems.

What he really needs is a new Black Box, which officially has 1080p functionality, and a HDMI to AV converter cable, available from Amazon.co.uk:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HMDI+to+AV+cables

Anything else is probably a waste of time.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think you need to go back and read his other posts rather than tell him to buy stuff that isn't even suitable for his situation.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you m0rbias.

I'm not using the white Now TV out of spec as it supplied with and AV port for which I use the offical Now TV AV cable to connect to the AV port of my TV which does not have an HDMI port.

On the old software there was a setting to either select 720dpi or 1080dpi.  I selected 1080dpi and the output through the AV cable was very good.

Now since the upgrade to OS7 there is no option to select anything but 4:3, 16:9 or two 4K settings (after applying reveal all disply options via hidden menu).  Both the 4:3 & 16:9 cause the box to output at a lesser resoltuion than before and now the streaming quality is atrocious and any action or small detail scenes, the picture just breaks up.

The new front page menu does not fit on the screen, only about two thirds and the far right is off the edge of the screen.  This is a design error with regard to the software as the developers appear to have forgotten about the AV out.

Buying a black box would not help as that only outputs via HDMI.

Now TV technical support have not responded to any requests to sort this out, either by email or on the forum.