cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Box very slow and keeps buffering

HI,

Over the last couple of days my box has got slower and slower and now will not play anything without buffering and being blurred. Navergating through the menu options is also very slow and some of the Apps are too slow to use especially IPlayer and ITV. Any advice appreciated. Internet seems fine 

Nikki

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Have you tried rebooting both your Router and nowtv box ?

If not switch both the router and box off for 30 minutes at the power mains, then switch on the Router first (let it go through it's start up procedure) then once the Router Is fully back online then switch back on the nowtv box.

I would also try a forced software update by following this guide linked below.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Other-app-not-working-NOW-TV-Box

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Hope you meant 30 seconds, bit mean of you to keep them waiting 30 mins 😉

@Anonymous User also worth bearing in mind the white box is getting quite old now and is underpowered compared to the newer boxes. Whilst it shouldn't be grinding to a halt, apps will feel somewhat sluggish and it's likely to get worse as updates to the apps appear. If you buy NOW TV passes anyway I'd recommend keeping an eye out for when the black box is on offer in retail stores. Currently you pick up a NOW TV black box with 3 months entertainment for around £20 which makes the box in effect free of charge, and if you are prepared to wait for special offers it often goes down to around £14-15.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

No it's not a typo, i read an article somewhere on the internet (can't seem to find it now) about improving Routers general performance, that if you switch them off for about 30 minutes that they clear something in the Routers download log history to make it work more effectively (i might be wrong, but i don't think it was referring to it's IP  automatic address reset).

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps

Yeah, if you want a new IP address allocating then you have to leave it off a while, but if it's just a case of the router's playing up just a power cycle does the job for me. Not to worry though - if the OP is anything like me they'll wait 5 mins and then switch it on again, patience was never my greatest asset! 😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

I found the link that i was talking about switching off the Router for 30 minutes which has something to do with flushing out the cache with the BT equipment (whatever that means ? ) which makes it easier to log onto your Router when there has been a issue or any work done at BT end.

Anway this is not the symptoms that the OP is having, so a quick reboot on the Router should suffice. Smiley Happy

http://www.wizards.co.uk/FixADSL 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Cheers @schnapps always useful to know these things (if only I can remember them!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice. I do think it is the box that is playing up as when I stram More4 through phone and cast onto tv it is fine. Will try Now TV App this way later too. Very fustrating to need a mew box though  

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...Very fustrating to need a mew box though  

Hi @Anonymous User,

Quite often, retailers such as Currys, Argos and Amazon offer NOW TV boxes bundled together with multiple Movie or Entertainment passes for less than the actual cost of a multiple monthly NOW TV subscription. So the new box ends up costing you nothing Smiley Wink

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am indeed not very patient! I will turn everything off when I go shopping or something