cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC IPlayer & SKY News not working

Last few days SKY News now does not work.  Just splash screen and nothing.  Also BBC iPlayer also does not work.  Plays for couple of minutes then the box reboots.  ITV Ok but havent tried any of the others yet.

Have uninstalled the apps and reinstalled but still the same.  restarted box (although didnt need to as playing BBC did that for me!!!)

2 questions:

1)  As I have 2 white boxes and only 1 has updated is there any way I can prevent the other one from updating and becoming a brick?

2) Is this a bug that will be fixed or are the white boxes obselete for these apps & possible future ones too?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi UK Bob,

That's interesting news.  I know that the Firestick already has it but integrated with NOW would be good albeit probably dearer.  Worth waiting to see.

Thanks for that.

Hi @Anonymous User Only back in from a wee holiday to Liverpool so only seeing this now but yeah, these boxes are just a victim of continuous advancements in the streaming market. These boxes are around 5-6 years old and are struggling to cope with any apps at all these days. We actually stopped maing them completley a couple of years back because of this. It's like Snapchat or Facebook apps on Android phones. They won't work on older ones due to the load they place on processors and memory. That's the trouble with everything advancing at this rate. Back in the day you could have used the same TV for 30 years and been happy enough to watch what was available. Now, getting a TV without a HDMI cable is technological madness. Tell you what thouggh. you could pick a black box up cheap enough which includes vouchers, meaning that it potentially pays for itself.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Sky News stopped working on the White box with the latest update a few days ago, but we don't know yet if it's a bug that will be fixed or the White box is simply no longer supported. There's a thread on it here

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Cant-get-Sky-News/m-p/459854#M5331

The BBC iPlayer is probably related to the age of the box whereby feature rich apps are resource hungry and the White box is struggling now to run them. At some stage soon I think you would need to think about upgrading the box. In the meantime I'll tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV Team to see if he can find out anything more about the apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply and for tagging Tony.  Would be interested to hear if there will be a fix as I have 2 white boxes.  If no fix then either purchase black box or get a Firestick and Netflix seem the only solutions.

I hope they are going to give a discount on a new black box considering they broke it!!

Still like to know if there is anyway to stop the white box from updating as it's not had an update yet and I have unplugged it to prevent same from happening.

Thanks again and for keeping me informed.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No sorry, those updates are pushed automatically. If you use the box you can't stop the updates happening.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK that's a pity.  Thanks anyway.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Daisy

Just in case you missed it, Sky has anounced that Netflix is coming to Now TV.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi UK Bob,

That's interesting news.  I know that the Firestick already has it but integrated with NOW would be good albeit probably dearer.  Worth waiting to see.

Thanks for that.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi UK Bob,

Thanks for that.

Hi @Anonymous User Only back in from a wee holiday to Liverpool so only seeing this now but yeah, these boxes are just a victim of continuous advancements in the streaming market. These boxes are around 5-6 years old and are struggling to cope with any apps at all these days. We actually stopped maing them completley a couple of years back because of this. It's like Snapchat or Facebook apps on Android phones. They won't work on older ones due to the load they place on processors and memory. That's the trouble with everything advancing at this rate. Back in the day you could have used the same TV for 30 years and been happy enough to watch what was available. Now, getting a TV without a HDMI cable is technological madness. Tell you what thouggh. you could pick a black box up cheap enough which includes vouchers, meaning that it potentially pays for itself.