cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

kids still have access to everything?

So I bought this box as it had the kids pass and the dedicated kids area, perfect for my kids room. 

The problem is that they can still access EVERYTHING. I have set both parental control passes and payment pin. This does stop them being able to buy on demand or viewing content over age on the main apps, however, they can still install apps and sign up to new passes! There has to be a way to lock into kids mode. I have looked on the site and they said that there is a verification on leaving to avoid kids accessing stuff they shouldnt but this does not require a code. 

Please can someone tell me how I can lock the kids mode otherwise I will need to send this box back as unfit for purpose. 

4 REPLIES 4
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The kids section isn't intended to be a walled garden that children can't leave, it just has the exit test to make sure they aren't leaving accidentally. There is currently no way to prevent them from accessing other apps or installing apps from the App Store. 

Some of the additional apps such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, YouTube etc do have their own parental controls but you would need to enable these individually, and a determined youngster could delete and reinstall apps to circumvent this. However if you have enabled a payment PIN on your NOW TV account they should not be able to purchase passes without your knowledge (unless they know or guess the PIN).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
They can as they start with a free trial meaning they do not get asked for
the pin. The box is sold when bought with the kids pass as being a kids
box. Thanks for the info I will just return mine as unfit for purpose.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I wasn't aware free trials could be started without entering the PIN, that's a bit of an oversight on NOW TV's part if that's the case - I'll mention @Anonymous User from the NOW TV team so that he can look into that and feed it back if need be.

If you haven't already make sure you go into your My Account > My Passes page http://account.nowtv.com/passes and cancel any trials to make sure they don't automatically convert into paid passes. 

There are applenty of other users on here who use the box successfully with children so you might want to wait a day or two to see if they can share any advice from their experiences, which might help you with your situation.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for raising this with us. 

It shoudln't be that passes can be started with out entering the payment PIN if you have it turned on even if it's a trial. I'll speak to the box teams and get this looked into.

Thanks @Andy for alerting us to this.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team