cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The simpsons

Just an observation but has anyone else noticed that the old Simpsons episodes that are shown on sky one are now in full screen?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep... the 4/3 flag is also being dropped...  

That means the HDTV will no longer auto correct aspec ratio on broadcasts...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User what does that mean? Sorry I don't really understand aspect ratio
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User There is also going to be no more DVD releases. End of an era for my collection 😞

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When 4/3 SD is broadcast by the broadcaster on HD channels. the broadcaster can choose three broadcast versions

16/9 broadcast with no bars down the side, called stretch to full 16/9 and then a 4/3 flag is sent with the broadcast to tell the HDTV to enable 4/3 mode on the HDTV automaticly this compresses the width back in... and 16/9 become 4/3 again...

This is now up to the user to correct aspec ratio as 4/3 flag is now mostly disabled...

snapshot317.png

16 accross 9 up and down...

4/3 stretched to 16/9 at broadcaster... This used to be called "vanessa feltz" mode every one is just a little to fat... Homer even bigger

( no his is not a clip from the poncho episode were he worked at home and he just got even bigger ) 

snapshot316.png

4/3 corrected by 4/3 flag broadcast on the signal, HDTV enabled 4/3 mode automaticly...  ( 4/3 flag is being removed content will be as first image to fat...)

The second is 16/9 with black boarders down the side and no 4/3 flag is broadcast... HDTV stays in 16/9 mode. (Also on the way out)

The image is fitted by hieght and thats it..

snapshot316.png 

Third is the 4/3 is cropped and content is removed from top and bottom to make 16/9 picture... the hole episode is manualy altered to keep core content in frame... constantly moving up and down to cut the frame... This is rejected by most users as letter box films cinema ratio will also be cut to 16/9 if this continues... image loses quality because the image is basicly zoomed in and cropped

snapshot319.png

Does marge not have more hair than that...

yep in uncropped image she does... ( Content has been removed to make 16/9 for HDTV format even more Upscale needs to be applied...)

This is very Bad president to set as image quality gets lowed and relies on Upscalers to correct it... The USA are allready rebelling at the cropped and streched versions on US simpson app..

That ends the beginners guide to aspec ratio...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Extra 

If cropping to 16/9 trend continues films will be next, heres what the movie would look like...

snapshot321.png

Bart and homer both Clearly on screen

snapshot322.png

Barts on screen Homers only just in shot getting shot at...  weres are they... weres their garden gone... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Extra section 2

As for DVD topic I missed out...

Im gonna get flamed but good.

The show lasted longer than I expected and I gave up on DVD collections... HDTVs sould have HD content. Your upscaler only gets upgraded when you bin your HDTV/DVD/Box device... and newer upscale devices give better picture...

I got a 2xBD player and scrapped/got rid of alot of DVDs plus DVDs are way more fragile then advertised as they cut costs on them by a lot...