cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alistair
Advocate

Thinking of signing up but then I saw "Boost"

I was looking to sign up, but then I saw "Boost". Am I reading it correctly? If you don't pay €5 extra a month then you have to sit through adverts? 

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Alistair 

It’s £6 here, but maybe you are in the ROI?

Yes, if you don’t buy Boost, you have to sit through adverts on On Demand.

Live channels, you get ads anyway even if you have Boost.

Even with Boost on On Demand, you have unskippable Now/Sky promos before your chosen programme starts.

If you would like to vent on this topic, please use the search bar at the top of the Community to see what other people have said about this, and only post if you have something entirely new to say about it 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Alistair
Advocate

Thanks.  Wasn't coming to vent. This is the first I've ever heard of a paid platform showing unskippable adverts/promos, so apologies if it's old ground.

Won't be signing up. Either the customer pays for content and gets no adverts , or its free content but the customer has to watch adverts.

Putting unskippable adverts/promos on content that's been paid for is treating the customer like a mug.

Just my 2c.

RoyB
Legend

@Alistair 

Thank you.

Sky has always had adverts, a tradition Now is following in, unavoidably with live, and Netflix has just launched a discounted tier with adverts, but still a subscription required, and other content providers e.g. Disney, are contemplating it.

Between the black and white of subscription-funded and ad-funded, there is now a grey area of ad-subsidised-subscription-funded.

If enough people voted with their feet, I’m sure it would cease, but they aren’t.

The big enemy now is the dip-in dip-out that people are adopting in response to the increasing fragmentation of the content providers, by taking advantage of the month-by-month no contract model to flip between providers and still not miss anything other than being first, which only Amazon Prime is largely proof against.

Hence the current rise of 3- and 6-month discount offers. Or lock-ins, as we would term them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Disney aren’t contemplating it they are doing it at the end of the year. 

@Alistair 

All big streamers are doing or going to do it. 

Netflix cheapest tier has adverts now. 

Discovery+ has ads and you can’t even pay to get rid of them

Amazon are doing it next year.

Nothing in this world is free and advert free as a base package will be a thing of the past in a matter of time. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Alistair 

You’re partly correct. You will still get ads on live broadcasts, but not on any on-demand programs, except for promos. 
Boost also allows you to watch on up to three devices at once, rather than just one. Resolution is also higher on supported devices with Boost (1024 as opposed to 720).