cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bj123123
Advocate

You might be next. Broadband cut off 3 weeks later

Has anyone else experienced outages from now tv broadband?

We have had several engineers come out and confirm our line needs repairing, even one ascertain where the repairs are needed. Yet nearly 4 weeks later we have had zero WiFi.

This was further rubbed in by now tv then telling us via email our “case was closed”.

we run businesses from home, yet no one has any urgency to sort this issue f which has now cost us thousands in new business and the inconvenience of having to use wifi elsewhere when possible. Unfortunately the only way we might seek recompense is through further legal actions. 

Nowtv we implore you to get this sorted before it continues costing us. We continually pay the bill yet we aren’t seeing product or service here.

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@Bj123123 

Good luck with that.

Now is domestic broadband and yet you are trying to run a business over it? Penny wise, pound foolish.

If you try to take them to court, i hope you have a legal eagle smart enough to tell you that, given Now’s T&Cs, it just wouldn’t fly.

Find an ISP with a proper business offering, with mobile backup if the landline goes down or isn’t available - I think Sky have one.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Bj123123
Advocate

Domestic broadband works perfectly well when combined with mobile data and mobile phone packages in the 21st century. 

line outage is unfortunate but a rare and resolvable issue if the provider can put adequate pressure to get engineers to resolve it.

What doesn’t work is paying for a service that isn’t being provided and this is where t&cs don't stand. T&cs do not make a company exempt from consumer law.

Jayach
Elite 3

Whilst I totally agree with @RoyB , if your broadband with Now has gone down, they shouldn't just "leave you in the lurch".

It's only reasonable they inform you of what the problem is, and give you some idea of how long it may be before your service may be restored.

If they can't do that, they should let you leave, penalty free. so you can find an ISP who can supply you with a service.

Hope you are able to get it sorted.

RoyB
Legend

@Bj123123 wrote:

Domestic broadband works perfectly well when combined with mobile data and mobile phone packages in the 21st century.

It’s not that it doesn’t have the capacity. It’s that it doesn’t have the backup. And if mobile data and mobile phone had been covering this adequately for you, then you wouldn’t have thousands of pounds worth of lost business.

line outage is unfortunate but a rare and resolvable issue if the provider can put adequate pressure to get engineers to resolve it.

As the Spartans famously replied, ”If”.

What doesn’t work is paying for a service that isn’t being provided and this is where t&cs don't stand. T&cs do not make a company exempt from consumer law.

Yes, even at the domestic level, four weeks without broadband is unconscionable, and that this seems to be in Openreach’s court does not absolve Now of their responsibility to you; and this is compounded by their closing your complaint when the issue is clearly not solved.

@Bj123123 

So don’t think I am unsympathetic to your non-working broadband. But:-

https://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/now-broadband-contract-dec-21.pdf

IMG_1139.jpeg

(Screenshot, as this is one of those annoying PDFs that decline to be copied from).

So bang on to Now about your business use, no matter how gentle on their systems it would be if they ever got it working for you, and they will point you to where you are breaking your contract with them.

Not that Now would likely ever get heavy with people WFH; but if you tried to get heavy with Now about your ‘thousands of pounds in lost business’, they would point to this and get heavy right back.

Because Now aren’t set up for, and you aren’t paying for, the level of service that would let Now take on the responsibility of uninterrupted business services, and the liabilities that might flow from non-performance. Lost business being just one of these. 

I do admire your patience, though. If I was facing four weeks without broadband, I’d be long gone to an ISP that would look after me properly by the end of week one. Preferably one with FTTP, if it’s available in your area, so as to bypass any faults on the copper that is no doubt as the root of your issues; but at least one with the clout to get Openreach back on your case, and fast.

And your legal eagle could blow Now out, if they demurred, with ‘frustration of contract’.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.