cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kiddykath

WiFi TV connection problems

My JVC keeps dropping my WiFi connection , I've only recently switched to Now and didn't have this problem before . I can't factory reset without internet access and can't watch my TV without internet access ?? 

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@Kiddykath 

Can you download an app called WiFi Analyzer on an Android mobile? (There might be something similar for iPhone, but Apple’s privacy rules very much restrict what apps like this can do)

And then see what the WiFi strength is close to the router, and close to the JVC, and post the results back here.

But the Now router is notorious for its poor WiFi, and my usual advice here is to source a Sky SR203 router off eBay and use that instead; it is entirely compatible, needs no reconfiguration, and has much better WiFi.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Kiddykath 

Are you able to connect via Ethernet?

If you don't want to take the advice from @RoyB about a new router, your other option is to split the bands. Incase the router is getting mixed up with them and shoving out a even worse signal!.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Alternatively you can fork out for some power line adapters for ethernet/wifi extension. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Kiddykath 

Actually, that’s another reason to get the Sky router.

If the Now router was up to scratch, it would not exhibit the issue that @gavs82008 describes 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

But splitting the bands 😜

RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

OK, if I take the advice given and create two new SSIDs, all my WiFi devices fall off the network because the SSID they have been set up with, the old combined SSID, is no longer present for them to connect to.

So what should I do next?

And why doesn’t the Now advice warn you this is what will happen, and advise you what to do next?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Simon-J 

A good point brought up by @RoyB re the band splitting and wifi devices not finding the old wifi name. Something the team can look into updating the help page with an FYI type thing?

chilli2
Elite

Another vote here for connect via Ethernet if possible, ie if the router and TV are in the same room.

Even with a  good router, an ethernet cable will be better if hooking up a TV to the internet for streaming