cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johric
Scholar

What is wrong with NowTV IP address?

I'm having another go at fixing a long standing irritating problem with NowTV if anyone can please help with possible solutions to try? Or even an explanation of what might be going on?

50% of the time when I start my computer (recent Mac running very latest software) it does not connect to the internet. Once this has happened no amount of waiting makes any difference and I have to restart the computer to connect. Network settings tell me ethernet connected OK but either "computer does not have an IP address" or has "self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect".

Apple Support say the problem is with the ISP, NowTV say it is with Apple but have provided a new router anyway.

Is there anything I can do? Should I (can I, even) change servers? Or should I just live with it? (Once initially connected broadband is full speed and stable).

13 REPLIES 13
johric
Scholar

Thanks for the suggestion, I've looked up Fing but there isn't a version for Mac OS. However, there is something called LanScan – do you think that would do the same job? I'm a bit dubious since most of the time this happens my 'network' is just a computer plugged into NowTV box via an ethernet cable – but I will try it next time this happens. Although I must admit it hasn't been happening recently! Probably due to posting here?:-)

RoyB
Legend

@johric 

Sorry you couldn’t find it 😢

Here’s the download page -the Mac version is the rightmost download option:-

https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop

• IMG_1088.jpeg

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
johric
Scholar

Sorry, I went on the App Store where it was shown verified only for iPad, but then on reading the small print it said that it was compatible with my computer after all. I'll download it and hope the software itself is clearer 🙂

johric
Scholar

Thanks I will try that but at the moment I am not experiencing any trouble! Not sure if success is random or not though but will leave well alone! I'm beginning to wonder if this could just be a dodgy cable?? I have been using a newish cable but have changed it now, just in case.