cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noseboy
Observer

Utter nightmare trying to forward ports

Have just moved from Plusnet and am having a mare trying to access my server externally.  I am trying to use the Now Hub with my Asus XT8 router, but I see that there is no way of putting it into modem mode.

Fine, I will see what I can kludge.

All works fine, but there is no way to access stuff on my server.  Complicating matters, both my ASUS and the Now Hub want 192.168.0.1, so I had to change my ASUS to 192.168.1.1.  Fine.... But how can I route any packets to my router?

Adding to the frustration, the Now Hub is painfully slow to access via wifi so every tweak is a major pain in the sphincter.

What's the best route (ha!) forward here?  Any way of getting the two to forward stuff appropriately?  Or it it best to move the Asus to AP-mode only - this would be a pity as I have a wodge of automatic DHCP assignments and things that I am going to have to fart around with.  All and any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Jayach
Elite 3

If you connect the ASUS to the Now hub, you will be double NATing. Running a server over double NAT is nigh on impossible.

As you say using AP mode on the ASUS would work, but it means all the routing capabilities of the ASUS would be wasted.

How were you doing it on PlusNet, did their router have Modem mode?

noseboy
Observer
Yes, I could use theirs in modem-mode, no problem. Have had to put the ASUS
in AP mode for now, but it is tres rubbish, as you say.
RoyB
Legend

@noseboy 

Now no longer have the strictures that they had in place before about not using third-party kit to connect to Now, and many more third-party devices now support MER 61, the protocol used by Sky and Now.

So you could consider:-

getting a modem that supports MER 61 and using that with the ASUS;

or getting a modem/router that supports MER 61 and modem only mode, and using that with the ASUS;

or getting a modem/router that supports MER 61, and using that instead of the ASUS.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:
or getting a modem/router that supports MER 61 and modem only mode, and using that with the ASUS;

The thing is it really shouldn't be long before we do away with modems completely, so I definately wouldn't spend money on new ones.

However people who have gone over to FTTP may well be selling their previous kit. so probably worth keeping an eye on your favourite auction site.

If it is to be used as modem only, it doesn't need to be particularly hi-spec.