cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeganJ
Advocate

Switching from Virgin Fibre Connection

I am currently a Virgin Fibre customer and due to price hikes I am looking at what other options are out there. I only have a fibre connection at my property, so I have a filter box that comes into my house and I connect to my router using a coaxial cable from that box. I don't have a phone line/ADSL filters installed anywhere at the property. My question is; if I switch to NowTV fibre, will this method of connection still work or will I need to have a phone line etc installed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MeganJ 

Moving to NOW Broadband you would need to have a telephone line installed which NOW would arrange if BT Openreach are still selling FTTC in your area.

If BT Openreach are only offering FTTP which NOW don't currently offer, then you may have to seek an ISP who offers FTTP but you will still need a new BT fibre cable and box installed in your property.

You won't be able to use the Virgin fibre cable or box.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MeganJ 

Moving to NOW Broadband you would need to have a telephone line installed which NOW would arrange if BT Openreach are still selling FTTC in your area.

If BT Openreach are only offering FTTP which NOW don't currently offer, then you may have to seek an ISP who offers FTTP but you will still need a new BT fibre cable and box installed in your property.

You won't be able to use the Virgin fibre cable or box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MeganJ 

Might have got my wires crossed with regards to companies such has NOW, Sky, TalkTalk for example still being allowed to sell for example FTTC with a new copper telephone line fitted to your property where FTTP is also available in your post code area.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/08/one-month-until-openreach-stop-selling-new-uk-analogue... 

If you are thinking with going with NOW Broadband there is a post code checker on their website to see if you can get NOW Broadband.

You would still need a new telephone line and master telephone socket fitted if you switch from Virgin.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps @MeganJ @Jayach 

(Hooking in jayach, who knows about this stuff, as he may not have picked up this thread from outside the Broadband silo).

The way I read it is that while there are still copper-based FTTC lines available, they can no longer come with a telephone service, unless Now are actually selling the Sky solution described in that article.

So perhaps we should speak of landlines and BT Master Sockets now, and not use the word ‘telephone’.

The obvious solution to this, for most people, is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), with either a new VOIP digital phone, or an adaptor for existing DECT phones.

But apparently, Now can’t provide this, unless I have been misinformed.

And I realise, I don’t know how this works for Virgin subscribers. Do you have an entirely separate BT landline, if you want telephone service, or is there something Virgin offer, other than WiFi calling via a mobile?

But whatever the answers are, going back to FTTC after having had FTTP would take some adjusting to - lots of luck with it,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MeganJ 

Might be also worth reading this NOW article if you are thinking about switching to NOW from another ISP.

There is also some information on one of the FAQ about switching from Virgin.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-switch-to-now-broadband 

Jayach
Elite 3

@MeganJ 

Your current Virgin installation is almost certainly cable not fibre as you suppose.

If you move from Virgin, assuming there is no BT/Openreach telephone sockets in your house, no part of your existing infrastructure will be used. It will all have to be new.

The first thing you need to know is what alternatives are available to you. If Openreach (or one of the AltNets ) are not providing FTTP (fibre to the premises), then yes the only other choice will be FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

This link may help to give you some idea of what is available.

Best Broadband In My Area | Broadband Postcode Checker | MoneySuperMarket