cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agt
Mentor

Streaming performance issues (Router config?)

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere - I'm not sure what specific search string would return the right thread.

Over the past week I have experienced a drop in streaming performance on both the 2.4 & 5 Ghz networks. This appears to manifest both as a reduction in connection speeds and in intermittent connection. It also appears to be worst during the afternoon. Speed tests show no issues with the connection to the house. 

I made the mistake of contacting technical support to get help. Deeply infuriating. But they did give me the impression that the NOWTV Hub assigns bandwidth to devices connected to the network using an even split of available total bandwidth. For instance, a 50gb connection shared across five devices would support a max connection speed per device of 10gb. 10 devices, 5gb. And so on.

Did I understand this correctly? If so, I was not previously aware of this and, tbh, it makes no sense to me to route network traffic in this way.

I have a variety of devices connected to the network that require little of the available bandwidth. Is there any way to apportion the bandwidth according to demand? Either with configuration of the NOWTV Hub, or with additional network management devices (or with an alternative supplier).

Thank you in advance for sharing any insight you might have into this.

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2 @Jayach 

It’s not in the broadband section so you won’t see the thread, but figured you both are the best to tag in for some advise for @agt 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

As far as I know the Now router doesn't have any QoS so any bandwidth will be shared.

That doesn't mean it will be split in the way you describe. If you are streaming (or any other high bandwidth usage) as long as the other devices are only using small amounts of data (browsing the web, email etc) then there should be no degradation of the high bandwidth service.

If you have 3 people streaming 4K video, that may be a problem.

RoyB
Legend

@agt 

If you have an Android mobile, download WiFi Analyzer*, and this will show you what is competing for your bandwidth, both your own devices, and neighbours’, and anything else in the vicinity.

*Not the farproc one, which used to be the best, but doesn’t work any more 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
agt
Mentor

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Using Wifi Analyzer confirmed that there are dropouts on the the network. Is that something that is likely to be an issue with the Wifi signal or is that something to do with the service into the property by NOW?

RoyB
Legend

@agt 

Dropouts from Now will:-

(i) cause the green light on the router to go out. I don’t know if you can monitor this,

(ii) cause the loss of even an Ethernet connection. I don’t know if you have any such devices, and if you can monitor them if so?

It’s also worth downloading the free Fing app - you can get it on a mobile or tablet, but the Desktop version is more capable - and set that to monitoring the connection. 

If it doesn’t know what the dropouts are, then you definitely have the WiFi dropping out.

If the network is dropping out but the WiFi isn’t, though, it will be able to detect and report that correctly.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
agt
Mentor

Thanks RoyB!

I downloaded Fing but it couldn't connect for some reason (oh that these things could ever be straightforward and work first time!?!?!?!