cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Questions about upgrading to VDSL

I would like to upgrade my broadband to fibre, but I have a few questions first:

1) I am on Brilliant Broadband, and would like to upgrade to Fab Fibre. I can however not see a price per month for this. Does anyone know how much it is in total per month?

2) If I upgrade, do I get a new modem?

3) What is my contract length if I upgrade to Fab Fibre? How long am I tied to the contract before I can cancel? What are the charges for cancellation?

4) What are the minimum guaranteed upload and download speeds on Fab Fibre?

5) I am using my own modem and would like to completely replace any standard hardware from NowTV. Will NowTV be able to provide me with the username and password that the modem needs in order to authenticate with NowTV as ISP. This is important for me as I have modem hardware that is much more versatile than the factory hardware.

From my last thread here: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/TP-Link-modem-working-on-ADSL-dont-have-VDSL/m-p/58... I tried everything and there seems to be no work around using own modems on ADSL.

16 REPLIES 16
Jayach
Elite 3

On your previous thread you didn't say if you got it working. I presume you did as you say you are using your own modem. Just how did you achieve it?  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Never made it work. No settings seem to be working that I set. Right now the new router works as a bridged device and the factory modem is still plugged in.

Jayach
Elite 3

So you have an R8000? Nighthawk X6 R8000 | AC3200 Tri Band Router | NETGEAR Support

You say it is bridged, but to what? The Now router or the BT modem?

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions, but to get the answers right I want to understand where you are now.

It's been a very long time since any BT modems were installed (by BT) most ISP Hubs have had built-in modems for ages.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have this: TP-Link VR400

It is simply connected to the NowTV factory modem, and works as the router. I have turned off wifi on the NowTV modem. I connected the TP router via WAN to the NowTV mode.

RoyB
Legend

1, 3, 4. https://www.nowtv.com/broadband?DCMP=KNC-BrandEE&ds_ag=Now+-+Broadband+-+Fibre+-+New+-+Broad&ds_kwid...

2. There is only one Now router, and as this will be an upgrade, you probably won’t get a second one.

5. You are aware this is still FTTC, which you are probably already on though the protocol is different, and not FTTP?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Regarding 5, what does that imply?

Jayach
Elite 3

I think @RoyB is implying that you can't use the R8000 directly on FTTC, only on FTTP. You start your thread by saying "I would like to upgrade my broadband to fibre", but Now is not fibre (FTTP) it is FTTC (hybrid fibre or Fibre to the Cabinet)

That's why you will need a modem to use the R8000.

I'm sure @RoyB will let us know if I have misunderstood his meaning.

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

5. You are aware this is still FTTC, which you are probably already on though the protocol is different, and not FTTP?

No the OP is on Brilliant Broadband, which is ADSL, no fibre involved. (lets not go through that again) https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/FTTP/m-p/581768

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

So are we saying that when OpenReach fibred up the cabinets, they left all the old copper in place on the off chance that somebody wants to drop back to Brilliant Broadband?

So what, physically, happens when you go from Brilliant Broadband to Fab Fibre?

The POTS line back to the exchange remains in place and they run more copper from the cabinet to your home? Or OpenReach unhook your copper from cabinet to exchange in the cabinet, and hook you up to fibre to the exchange?

So there must be a lot of copper that OpenReach can reclaim when an area goes Stop Copper? Or they can’t, because there are always a few ADSL, or no broadband at all, holdouts?

Ive had a little poke about on the web, and there are plenty of descriptions of ADSL versus VDSL, FTTC versus FTTP, but found nothing about the physical reality of the swapovers.

I guess when we went FTTP at our previous house, the copper for the FTTC stayed in the ground; and where we are now there is no copper laid at all, and the whole new-build estate is FTTP; which is why there are now FTTP tariffs comparable with the older services, for people who don’t want hundreds of Mbps.

But I’m really surprised that OpenReach haven’t come up with any technical solution to run everyone on a cabinet back to the exchange over fibre.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.