cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Power cable too short

I cannot be alone in this problem. The thingy length of cable that came with my now TV router is impracticable. Like many my master phone socket is in a stupid place; behind my front door and Iive on the first floor. My previous router I tuck the cable under the carpet so it reaches a bit further and can be put on a telephone table. There is no longer cable in the sky shop and my sky power cable or by one doesn't fit this this router. My router is on the radiator which is not going to work with winter coming and likely to be knocked off anyway.

6 REPLIES 6
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I cannot be alone in this problem. The thingy length of cable that came with my now TV router is impracticable. Like many my master phone socket is in a stupid place; behind my front door and Iive on the first floor. My previous router I tuck the cable under the carpet so it reaches a bit further and can be put on a telephone table. There is no longer cable in the sky shop and my sky power cable or by one doesn't fit this this router. My router is on the radiator which is not going to work with winter coming and likely to be knocked off anyway.

Hi @Anonymous User I'm sorry that we don't offer any thing longer to suit your needs. We only have a standardized cable atm. Would something like this do you any good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMJ-B1W2MP-1SKT-2MTR-Extension/dp/B0076V71TY?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_1338188031_3&pf_rd_r=HRT9Y0JW0FPS77CMD0JV&pf_rd_p=4ae6ac66-25a2-54cc-b18c-26e51ebd67bb&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1338188031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Chris6
Advocate

I agree with the original poster the power cable is rediculously short.

My BT router I have up on a high shelf to get maximum wifi across floors - victorian terrace means high ceilings!

With your power cable the router would have to be about a meter lower!
An extension lead as suggested is not helpful as it would leave a plug socket in the middle of my wall!

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Chris6 & Anonymous User

There is a simple solution to the short power cable problem: POE.

Before you say that the Now router doesn’t use POE, read on..

My router (Vodafone) is 15 feet from the nearest power socket, and also doesn’t support POE, however by using a poe splitter behind the router which is plugged into both the power socket and one of the ethernet ports, and the poe injector at the other end of the ethernet cable (the injector is in the living room, behind the tv), job done.

Both the poe injectors and splitters are cheap. Just make sure that the splitter is capable of supplying the correct voltage/current for the router.

Chris6
Advocate

I might give that a go thanks Mark.

chilli2
Elite

Cheaper than POE and far less complex as it doesn't require additional power, plus considerably less bulky than a mains extension lead, a DC barrel jack extension cable will do the job.

You take the end of the router power cord that goes into the router and plug that into the DC extension cord and the other end of the extension plugs into the router.

Another option would be a longer RJ11 cable but you should get a good quality sheilded one as this may affect speeds

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Chris6 I used a barrel extension cable with the router for my previous isp, but when I changed I found that the new power supply wasn’t powerful enough to push the power the required 20 feet from mains socket to router. Hence my choice of a POE solution. The power supply is now about 50 feet away and hidden, so something less to trip over/ accidentally unplug in the hall.

In passing, I should mention that a decent ethernet cable is of paramount importance, mine is cat-6.