cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Valiant
Mentor

Now TV broadband slower than previous BT Service

I recently signed up to Now TV.  

Per the Now TV portal I am on "Super Fibre", with an estimated download speed of 22-30Mbps and "guaranteed" 19Mbps.  Per the "Test Your Connection" link though, Now TV reckons I am getting 12.8Mbps.   This is in line with my readings from 3rd party testing tools.

When previously on BT broadband at the same house we were getting the expected download speed, viz 25-30Mbps, so for whatever reason it is way down.

Anything I can do?  It does seem impossible to contact Now TV so, if not, the choice seems to be to suck it up, or cancel and move.  But is there any likelihood that switching to someone else will fix it?

Thanks
V

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Valiant 

Are these speeds over wifi or ethernet?

As the router from NOW for wifi is known to be terrible. You could try splitting the bands however.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

That said when did you go live with NOW, has it been over 10 days?
https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Valiant
Mentor

>> Are these speeds over wifi or ethernet?

So far my own tests, bottoming out at around 10Mbps, have been just with WiFi.   However, the 12.8Mbps number came from Now TV's own "check your speed" service, which obviously isn't using WiFi or in fact any type of local area network.

I'll give it a bash with an ethernet cable next time I am there.

It's been in for about 6 weeks, however the house is unoccupied (we haven't moved into it) and the broadband will have little use, probably only by the decorators.

Thanks

V

Jayach
Elite 3

@Valiant wrote:
However, the 12.8Mbps number came from Now TV's own "check your speed" service, which obviously isn't using WiFi or in fact any type of local area network.

If that service is reporting your sync speed, and that is below your guaranteed minimum, report it to Now.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

They may need to get Openreach to investigate, although the first test they will probably require will be with the router connected to the test socket.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Valiant 

From my understanding the connection itself won't change with another provider, it will be purely down to the router itself. If you can try with another router. 

All NOW provide is what you have been given and it certainly isn't the best for sure. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Valiant
Mentor

@Jayach - thanks!

@ Gavin - Don't I have to have the NOW router as the first connection point to the incoming signal, even if I then use a better router connected to the NOW one to distribute the LAN/WiFi signal?

Jayach
Elite 3

@Valiant wrote:
@ Gavin - Don't I have to have the NOW router as the first connection point to the incoming signal, even if I then use a better router connected to the NOW one to distribute the LAN/WiFi signal?

No, you have to have a router capable of connecting to the Now/Sky service. Many 3rd party routers now include Sky_MER (VDSL) in their connection options.

Having said that, as far as I know, the modem in the Now router is no worse than the others, so it should sync at about the same speed as them all, it is in some of it's other capabilities that the Now router is "poor". (especially it's Wi-Fi)

gizz
Scholar

I purchased the SKY SR203 router for a tenner on e-bay and my speeds and stability were immediately improved as well as the wifi range - and it was an easy plug and play.