cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry9
Mentor

No internet, but online account shows that my router is connected to several devices

My NOW router is wired up correctly but I do not have internet access. The power and wireless lights are green, but the internet light is not illuminated.

Despite this, when I check my online account the page says that everything is fine, and even shows me a list of devices that are supposedly connected to my router. I do not recognise any of the devices listed, for example there is a Sky+ box and two amazon devices listed as connected, none of which we own. Coupled with the fact that my router has no internet access and that I'm unable to connect any device, this is all quite confusing.

My activation date was 20/01, but I only got around to setting up the router yesterday (22/01). Our previous provider was Virgin, who we still have connection with for a month or so as I only cancelled with them on 19/01. I'm under the impression that my Virgin connection should have no bearing on my NOW connection as they are on different lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

8 REPLIES 8
redchiz1
Champion 2

Try a pinhole reset of the router.

harry9
Mentor

There's just the reset button on the back of the router which I have tried, there doesn't seem to be a pinhole reset

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@harry9 

Can I assume it’s this your talking about for the factory reset?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
harry9
Mentor

Sorry, I can't see anything on that page for a factory reset. The page is for troubleshooting internet speed, but I have no connection at all

harry9
Mentor

I have held in the reset button at the back if that's what you mean, sorry 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@harry9 

Expand the first section for reset hub.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@harry9 wrote:

I'm under the impression that my Virgin connection should have no bearing on my NOW connection as they are on different lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

You are entirely correct.

The thing is, whilst you have been on Virgin, anything could have happened to your BT/Openreach phone line. (assuming it has been unused) so it probably needs checking out.

Goodness knows how your Now account can possibly show connected devices?

harry9
Mentor

So the first time I called customer services, prior to making the original post, I was told that my Virgin connection would be interfering with the NOW connection and should have been transferred automatically, but hadn't due to an error. This didn't sound right to me as I know they are on different lines (thank you to Jayach for confirming this). The only advice I was given was to cancel my NOW service and repurchase it closer to my Virgin disconnection date. Bizarre.

I called again yesterday and the guy said straight away that it sounds like a cross connection issue, where my account has accidentally been linked up to someone else's line. This is much more helpful and at least makes me feel that I'm not going mad. He has raised the issue with the relevant team so now I'm just waiting to hear back over the next few days. 

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue in the future. Don't let someone tell you that a Virgin connection interferes with any Openreach line, because it doesn't.