cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magic
Advocate

NOW Hub2 wifi is poor, anyone know how I can setup and use my previous Plusnet Hub?

My new service has gone live but the Hub2 wifi coverage is really poor, anyone know how I can setup and use my previous Plusnet Hub? Help or instructions would be really appreciated? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
chilli2
Elite 2

@Magic it can bee done but you will need to set the Plusnet router as an ap.

What plusnet router is it?

chilli2
Elite 2

And further to this, I have done this with a Plusnet Hub One, while it can do wifi  my main motivation was / is for ethernet .

I can post the instructions if needed, if you dont want them then doing so would be a waste of time

Magic74
Advocate

@chilli2 Hi that would be really useful. I have the Plusnet Hub 2 thou? Many thanks

chilli2
Elite 2

OK, you will need:

an ethernet cable - one hsould have come with the plusnet router as well as the line cable.

A PC or laptop with an ethernet socket.

Factory re-set the plusnet router and wait for it to re boot

On the laptop( or PC )  turn off wifi and connect the plusnet router to your laptop

open a web browser on the laptop and go to the config page ( http://192.168.1.254 )

Go to Advanced Settings\My Network\IPv4 Configuration or home network , and change the default ip address to 192.168.1.10 then save/apply this setting

your connection to the plusnet  router will go dead as you need to connect to its new IP which is 192.168.1.10

You will then need to re log into the plusnet router and turn off and/or disable DHCP /DHCP server

On the plusnet router turn off the firewall and UPNP  usually located on the advanced/firewall settings .

If you want you can change the wifi network names and passwords for the wifi form the router.

re-boot the plusnet router and plug it into the now router via ethernet

you should now get wifi from the plusnet router, however it will have  nasty annoying flashing light which can not be disabled.

For wifi its an ungainly solution , and as said I have done this mainly for ethernet and because i can, there are better solutions such as replacing the now router entirely or using a dedicated stand alone network switch

PhilDavis42
Advocate

I need to try that too, thank you

PhilDavis42
Advocate

Thanks but it didnt work, I changed all the settings you suggested to no avail

Jayach
Elite 3

@PhilDavis42 

If you follow the instructions it has to work.

What you are trying to do is use the PlusNet router as an access point. To do this the two routers have to be connected by their LAN ports. Is that what you did?

Try googling "use old router as access point", you should find lots of help.

chilli2
Elite 2

iously the plusnet router will site behind the Now router and they will both be connected via ethernet , with the DSL socket being un used on the plusnet router.

If you are struggling at this stage, i would suggest that you get a stand alone device/compatible router to replace the Now hub2 entirely

dont forget that there may be a save / confirm settings prompt to click on