cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davewossname
Mentor

Landline issues since moving house

When I moved house, my new broadband connection settled down after a few days but the landline didn’t work - not even a dial tone. Eventually I got to raise the issue with Now TV (not easy when the online check says everything is ok) and was told it was a line problem and an engineer would need to visit.

The engineer hasn’t visited yet, but my landline has started working (so it’s a routing issue, not a line issue) and I can make outgoing calls. But, and it’s a big but, ringing the number Now TV told me is my new number doesn’t ring my phone. Even more bizarre, if I ring my mobile from my landline, the caller ID that come up is for a business a few miles down the road. How is that sort of mess up even possible?

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@davewossname 

Who, if anyone, answers when you ring the number Now told you is your number?

Who, if anyone, answers when you ring the caller ID in question?

But it all speaks of misconnection in your cabinet, since data and calls go their separate ways from there, if what Now sold you had ‘Fibre’ in the name.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
davewossname
Mentor

@RoyB 

When I rang “my” number from the welcome email it rang out. When I “returned” the call I received from my landline on my mobile I got the answerphone of a stationery suppliers on an industrial estate a mile or so down the road…

My line is copper to the house and the stationers must be too far to be served by the same cabinet. Also, when I try to look up my Broadband & Calls details in my online account I get a message saying “Well, that didn’t go to plan”. At least Now got that bit right!

davewossname
Mentor

@RoyB 

@RoyB So, the Openreach engineer came to visit, I explained the situation and he dialled 17070 to confirm the number. He asked me how far away the business was that related to my line’s CLID and deduced it was an exchange issue not a cabinet issue. Off he went saying it should be fixed in about 45 minutes and, lo and behold, it now works as advertised. The CLID my line gives out is now the number from my welcome email and my phone rings if you dial that number.

One last curiosity though, when I was first asked to check my number using 17070 there was no preamble to the response, the voice immediately recited the number. Now that the routing is sorted 17070 announces “Hello, you’re through to Sky” before reciting the number; so my guess is it wasn’t even another Now/Sky number that my line was crossed with…