cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomhshd
Mentor

How can i move the box to another room?

How can I move the box to another room ?

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tomhshd 

By calling the broadband team. Who will request for an OpenReach engineer to be sent, which will then install a new master socket in the place of choice.

If I were you, just invest in some powerline adapters or wifi boosters. As the waiting time for OpenReach could be a while. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

If you do get an Openreach engineer to move the master socket, (unless the current position is causing a health hazard) it will be chargeable. Whether Now will pass the cost on to you, who knows?

RoyB
Legend

@Tomhshd 

Use a long(er) DSL cable, from the Master Socket to where you want the router to be.

But why do you want to move the router? 

Perhaps we can suggest an alternative approach to fix the root problem.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tomhshd
Mentor

No plug near master socket 🙄

RoyB
Legend

@Tomhshd 

Ah, that’s a good reason. Though how about running an extension mains cable from the nearest place there is a plug, and plugging the router mains lead into that?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tomhshd
Mentor

That's the setup at the moment in the kitchen lol

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tomhshd 

There is another solution, one which I’m using. That is POE (power over ethernet). The Now router probably doesn’t use POE, but no matter. Assuming that you have an ethernet cable running from the router to somewhere near a power socket, all you need is a matching POE injector and POE splitter capable of supplying the required voltage and current. You put the splitter behind the router, connecting it to an ethernet port and the power port. The injector goes at the other end of your existing ethernet cable. 

As I said, this is my setup. The router is on a shelf by the front door, and its power comes from a socket behind the TV in the living room.

You can get the injector/splitter on Amazon.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Mark_Weinreb 

Using POE wouldn't have occurred to me, but glad to hear it works for you.

@Tomhshd 

If there is no power outlet near the master socket, you could definitely claim the use of an extension power cable is a trip hazard.

Openreach would definitely make sure power is available on new installs, but in the past it wasn't a requirement.

Do you know how long it will be before you can get FTTP (full fibre) because then all the copper wiring will be redundant?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband