cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Higher Sync Rate but Ping is worse?

Hi all,

I tried a few setups and VDSL cables (e.g., from Tandy) over the last few months since joining Now Broadband... But somehow I always synced at around 67000... This usually gave me download speeds of 62-65 Mbit/s (depending on how it was measured). 

Since about two days I am synced on 71713... The speeds improved a bit and are now at around 64-68 Mbit/s... 

I'm about 400m away from the cabinet. 

I also noticed though that my pings on Speedtest.net have gotten worse since the increase in sync rate... I used to get a ping of 9-11ms and now I am getting between 13-20ms...

Any idea what could've caused this?

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
flavione
Scholar

A higher RTT with ping means that the DLM of the Openreach cabinet has likely enabled interleaved on your line, meaning you should get a more stable connection (i.e. lower drops), but a higher ping.

It occasionally happens on my line too, and right now my ping has raised from 7ms to 13ms.

It's always up to the logic of Openreach automation to restore your line to fastpath (i.e. lower ping times) after some time, which could be few days or even longer (in my case, it's still there after 12 days of uninterrupted connection).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
flavione
Scholar

A higher RTT with ping means that the DLM of the Openreach cabinet has likely enabled interleaved on your line, meaning you should get a more stable connection (i.e. lower drops), but a higher ping.

It occasionally happens on my line too, and right now my ping has raised from 7ms to 13ms.

It's always up to the logic of Openreach automation to restore your line to fastpath (i.e. lower ping times) after some time, which could be few days or even longer (in my case, it's still there after 12 days of uninterrupted connection).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks mate. Makes sense... I wish the higher speeds would stay - don't mind a few more ms ping 🙂

Looks like I might finally soon be able to get full fibre here anyways - so all these weird VDSL issues will hopefully soon be something from the past!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting... My sync rate is now up to 73600... Pings are also back to normal... Speedtests are still pretty much the same though... Maybe they changed something in the cabinet and my line is improving

Anonymous User
Not applicable

and now it stabilised for a few days on 77540... Finally getting the speeds I used to get with talktalk prior to switching to NOW in August 2021 (70mbps down & 19mbps up)... Openreach came over a few times because of cutouts in January 2022... They said the copper outside the house was a bit corroded but that they fixed this... No speed improvements back then and I was stuck on around 67000 for months... Clearly something was wrong in the cabinet or with the copper lines in the streets... Only noticed that there was an Openreach car in our road a few days ago... Maybe Openreach finally fixed an issue that they always denied existed 😄