cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johric
Scholar

Hardware for wi-fi access point?

I am looking for a wi-fi gadget that will plug into wired ethernet and produce a w-fi signal enough to cover one room. I want to be able to manually switch it on and off and also to leave the NowTV router settings "Enable Wireless Access Point" unticked i.e. OFF, so that main router itself is not producing wi-fi. Is that even possible please and if so what might it be called and who makes them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

It is called, unsurprisingly, a Wireless Access Point, and most network manufactures offer them.

You can also turn an old wireless router into one, try googling "use old router as wireless access point"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
johric
Scholar

Sorry, badly worded – not the emails but the problem is with the router not able to get IP address at startup 50% of the time, so won't connect to internet. You're right – Apple says it's due to ISP and NowTV says it's computer so that's a separate issue which I've given up trying to sort out and just living with it 🙁 

Jayach
Elite 3

@johric wrote:

Sorry, badly worded – not the emails but the problem is with the router not able to get IP address at startup 50% of the time,

Are you powering the main router off and on? It is definitely best to leave it powered up at all times. Not sure I understand the problem of having the Wi-Fi on at all times, but if you are using the settings in the router to switch it off/on, it should not lose it's I.P. address.

johric
Scholar

Yes router left on all the time. I'm thinking that as this is an aside not relevant to the issue I originally posted maybe I should try and get help with it anyway on this forum but on a new thread? I'll do that and give more details when I get back from upcoming holiday and send you the link and would appreciate any input you may have.

RoyB
Legend

@johric 

Clicking that link, I get:-

IMG_1085.jpeg

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/What-is-wrong-with-NowTV-IP-address/m-p/604948

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
johric
Scholar

Yes there is something wrong with this page as I sometimes get that message, but thanks for re-doing link below which seems to work fine.

Jayach
Elite 3

What is wrong with it is it has %C2%A0 on the end. Apparently this is something called non-breaking space. (no, I don't understand it either)

URLs Containing %C2%A0 - Adobe Support Community - 12439256

RoyB
Legend

@johric 

Ah, I see, it’s a tinfoil helmet issue 😛

My marriage would not survive long if I tried to limit my wife’s use of her iPad in any way 😢🤷🤷🤷

And the husband in question does know that an iPad deprived of a WiFi connection will go into wifi overdrive looking for another one?

But unless you all live in a mansion with extensive grounds surrounding the house, your environment is probably saturated with other peoples’ WiFi anyway. To demonstrate this, get an Android device and download an app called WiFi Analyzer (Apple are too privacy-conscious to allow this on iOS devices) and View the Channel graph while your own WiFi is switched off.

My guess is your environment may be pretty stuffed with other people’s WiFi; so what’s one more AP?

Oh, and what’s the ‘local view’ on 3/4/5G? 😱

johric
Scholar

Partly right😊 But the above solution has now enabled us to get the outcome we wanted for our circumstances, and in the process I've learned a little (but not much) about IP addresses, DHCP, and the like 🤔