cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SirPodgio
Advocate

FTTC stats OK?

Hello,

I feel like my line has been performing badly for a while so looking for some guidance to possibly increase the speed. The wholesale checker thinks I should be able to get up to 48mbps but currently only getting 28mbps. The best I've ever seen was about 40mbps so if I can get back to near that I would be happy.

Do my stats look OK?

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 32397000 bps US Actual Rate : 6184000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 40680004 bps US Attainable Rate : 6184000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 19 dB Cur SNR Margin : 5 dB
DS actual PSD : -3.-1 dB US actual PSD : 11. 8 dB
NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 19591
NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 14428
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 2
ITU Version[0] : 00000000 ITU Version[1] : 00000000
VDSL Firmware Version : 07-07-09-05-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 5 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 434dc190
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >

(Sorry about formatting)

I recently improved the cabling between my master socket and router by moving it away from a power cable so wondering if that might help speed things up but so far there has been little improvement.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SirPodgio 

You don't get any broadband support staff coming on the forum and post. Your best to call the broadband team using the number from the link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
SirPodgio
Advocate

Thanks, no problem, I understand. As my speed is above the handback threshold I don't expect any support but it may be worth a conversation. I wanted to get other opinions here first.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Those stats look fine. The wholesale checker gives quite a large range between the High A and Low B, which are you quoting? And what do the handback thresholds say? 

SirPodgio
Advocate

Thanks for the reply. I am quoting the top end. They range from 48 to 30mbps with a handback of 30 for clean and 25 for impacted. As I am getting towards the low end, it would seem my line is impacted but don't know if that's internal to my house or external.

I'm also not sure if the wholesale checker estimates are based on line length (attenuation?) or historical performance. If historical, you would expect them to be inaccurate if there has been a line fault/degradation for some time.

Btw, my distance (actual not direct) to the cabinet is about 600m. Entering an attenuation of 19dB into https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php results in an estimated distance of 1.3km. Based on this, do you still think the stats look normal?

Thanks

redchiz1
Champion 2

Honestly, yes. Your performance will be largely determined by line length and quality. Far more important is whether your broadband is performing as you would wish. If streaming, browsing etc. are all OK then don't worry about the numbers too much, you are clearly well within the parameters available. 

SirPodgio
Advocate

Speed is acceptable, I've had worse and it meets my needs. Stability is good. Overall I can't complain (and not) but I would like it be faster ideally. I don't have any other options so just have to wait for FTTP to arrive. If I can squeeze a few more mbps out of it then great but I'm not holding my breath.

redchiz1
Champion 2

The attenuation figure will not just be about distance, it will be about quality. And these days the state of the copper network is pretty poor. There are likely to be numerous taps along the way which will reduce speed. And of course Openreach will not hasten to fix anything other than the most obvious of faults as they move towards Full Fibre. Your downstream SNR margin of 5dB suggests that there is not much more that can be squeezed out of your line.