cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poundbury
Advocate

Download MUCH slower than sync speed following line repair

This is a bit of a saga for my first post. Been with NOW FTTC (Fab Fibre) for 4 years no issues. A month ago started getting crackly voice calls (which failed altogether after a while - no dial tone) and intermittent broadband connection and very slow internet speeds (5Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up). Two weeks later and Openreach discovered a faulty cable join (earth leak or battery contact were mentioned?) outside our house which was repaired this morning (one wire completely disconnected the other badly corroded). Engineer was working on the join for an hour and a half. Phone line is now working and line seems quiet/clear. According to the NOW TV Hub I am getting reasonable (for my distance from cabinet) download sync speeds (31,535kbps) and upload (6,697 kbps) BUT my actual download (throughput) speeds are awful! So I decided to do some investigation using Ookla speed test on a laptop connected by ethernet directly to the Hub. This shows download speed of 4.87 Mbps (I would be expecting/hoping for around 27-29) and upload of 6.18 Mbps, ping 17ms.

Does anyone know why this might be so? I have never had download speeds so much lower than my sync speed, and lower even than my upload speed!! I have reported to NOW and it's been escalated to their 'network team' but I am flummoxed how it can sync at a reasonable speed but the throughput be so dire?

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Poundbury 

Take it you’ve done a factory reset to the router?

What about trying with another router? As the NOW router isn’t the best.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Poundbury
Advocate

Thanks @gavs82008 for taking the time to reply to my problem. I did try a factory reset of the NOW Hub - no improvement. I also tried another router I happened to have lying around (TP-Link VR 400) 😜  - same issue. Having reported the issue to NOW I reinstated the NOW Hub in anticipation of them blaming non-standard kit for the problem. Believe it or not some hours later it just spontaneously reverted to the sort of performance I have come to expect (or even a bit better). Not sure if it was related to me reporting it or just a coincidence. I'll need to keep an eye on it over the coming days...

RoyB
Legend

@Poundbury 

After an outage like that, the line will be brought back towards the rated speed cautiously, with the automated process stopping to measure error rates, and only proceeding if these stay low, towards the rated speed of the line. It looks like this happened here, and relatively quickly.

BTW is that Poundbury as in ‘Poundbury Fiat’, otherwise known as ‘Abarth’? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.