cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quadlutz
Mentor

Does Now Broadband have a “internet in every room” type service?

Hello! I previously used Sky and had the “Sky boost” service, which was much needed because of the setup of my house (narrow and tall). An engineer came, measure signal in every room, added a booster and even configured a different wifi channel to avoid all the noise from neighbours devices.

I’m getting Now installed on Friday and was wondering, does Now provide any service like this, or am I all on my own? Just found the sky engineers really effective at measuring signal with their devices and setting everything up. 

If not I might dig up an old mesh using fritzboxes when I was with Zen. But thought I’d ask first!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite

As above the only thing they supply is the Now Hub2 router, and that is known to have poor wifi, so dont getr despondent if the wifi only stretches part way along the room the router is in - expect it to be bad, and then if it works for you thats a bonus.

You have several options available to vastly improve things some of these are:

Wired ethernet through the building and separate wifi access points where WiFi is required:

Some would say this is the best option, but adding in an ethernet network and running cables all over the place isn't always practical , if you rent then you will run into issues, if you own the property then its alot of hard work and will make a mess, or look a mess.

Powerline adaptors with built in wifi

This is what i use, however i use it to get ethernet to a remote location , can run into issues with certain types of household wiring systems/consumer units ( fuseboxes) best brand to buy would be devolo but unless its on offer it can be expensive

A Better Router

you can buy routers that outperform the Now hub and almost all, if not all wifi routers that ISPs supply and in most cases these will vastly improve wifi performance , however if the property is that odd/dificult then you will be taking a gamble on a better router providing good wifi all over the building/property

Wifi mesh systems

not to be confused with boosters, these are relativly new on the market and should be ideal if the property is non standard

Wifi boosters

such as the Sky boost and others - can work in some situations where other solutions are not possible  but by and large should opnly be used as a last resort, rubbish wifi in, even worse wifi out

My advice would be see what its like then get a mesh system if its poor.

As for measuring with devices you can do this with an android phone and n app called wifi aylyzer ( note American spelling)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
redchiz1
Champion 2

@quadlutz 

No, they don't offer such an option I'm afraid, you are on your own. At least you sound like you might have an idea about how to go about it!  🙂

chilli2
Elite

As above the only thing they supply is the Now Hub2 router, and that is known to have poor wifi, so dont getr despondent if the wifi only stretches part way along the room the router is in - expect it to be bad, and then if it works for you thats a bonus.

You have several options available to vastly improve things some of these are:

Wired ethernet through the building and separate wifi access points where WiFi is required:

Some would say this is the best option, but adding in an ethernet network and running cables all over the place isn't always practical , if you rent then you will run into issues, if you own the property then its alot of hard work and will make a mess, or look a mess.

Powerline adaptors with built in wifi

This is what i use, however i use it to get ethernet to a remote location , can run into issues with certain types of household wiring systems/consumer units ( fuseboxes) best brand to buy would be devolo but unless its on offer it can be expensive

A Better Router

you can buy routers that outperform the Now hub and almost all, if not all wifi routers that ISPs supply and in most cases these will vastly improve wifi performance , however if the property is that odd/dificult then you will be taking a gamble on a better router providing good wifi all over the building/property

Wifi mesh systems

not to be confused with boosters, these are relativly new on the market and should be ideal if the property is non standard

Wifi boosters

such as the Sky boost and others - can work in some situations where other solutions are not possible  but by and large should opnly be used as a last resort, rubbish wifi in, even worse wifi out

My advice would be see what its like then get a mesh system if its poor.

As for measuring with devices you can do this with an android phone and n app called wifi aylyzer ( note American spelling)

quadlutz
Mentor

@chilli2 Thanks! Unfortunately my master socket is in the kitchen on the ground floor and my office is on the third floor, so don't think the router on it's own will work (even the sky router which I hear is better didn't get the job done).

I've ready some other posts and have formulated a plan. I have an old fritzbox modem with 3 extenders. My plan is to connect it to the Now tv router, disable the access point, and use the fritz mesh to broadcast the wifi. hopefully it'll be ok...

chilli2
Elite

You may run into issues wth double NAT on that set up, plus what extenders are you planning on using ?

If the Fritzbox can work on a VDSL connection using  MER or Option61 ( check to see if its compatable with Sky broadband for example) then ditch the now hub2 router and use that instead