cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHedley
Advocate

DNS stops working at random

I received my Now TV broadband the other day. While using the broadband I can see that at random DNS will stop working. There appears to be no way of changing the DNS IPs that the box send to DHCP clients so I am having to set DNS manually on every device that connects to it.

Does anyone else experience this? Is there a solution (apart from not using the Now TV modem?).

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@DHedley 

If the DNS stopped working for Now users, there would be many more than you upset by this, as evinced by the time the DNS (which is Sky as well) went down for an evening.

So firstly, what is making you think that your problem is DNS going down?

Have you considered that this may be Broadband Buddy in action, ‘protecting’ you from content unsuitable for those younger than 13, as is its default setting?

Investigate that, set it to 18+ or turn it right off.

Please reply to say if that fixes it, or if you still have the issue, though.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
DHedley
Advocate

@RoyB my iPhone (and iPad) will randomly stop loading web pages. Including innocuous ones (like news.bbc.co.uk) that it was quite happily loading only a few minutes before. At that point switching to the "ping" app and trying to ping "news.bbc.co.uk" says it is unable to resolve the name. I manually configure the iPhone/iPad to use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers and everything works again.

It's a bit strange, particularly if it's not a widespread issue.

I've not heard of "Broadband Buddy" and unless that is something that comes switched on by default with Now TV then it wouldn't apply to me.

The broadband has only been installed for a couple of days so I will see whether other devices exhibit the same behaviour or whether it is something specific about iOS.

Is it unfortunate that you can't specify the DNS servers to use as I've used OpenDNS in the past for basic family filtering.

RoyB
Legend

@DHedley 

lt is.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
seebee
Scholar

@DHedley To be fair to NOW/SKY, I find their DNS service to be reliable (apart from the rare nationwide outage).

Monitoring DNS primary  and DNS secondary  - All the colour greens means DNS always answers. The position of the green bar is the median round trip time (rtt), so it answers in about 8 ms total (not bad as it's about a 7ms ping rtt away from me, on ADSL2+).

I also believe you are correct about not being able to set the DNS servers in the NOW Hub Two.