cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tina1
Advocate

Broadband speed

Well had an issue with slow broadband for a few weeks then lost phone line so NOW TV sent out an engineer from open reach who looked into the issue and basically told me the line is knackered and needs replacing but open reach will not replace this as the cost would be around £9000 to dig up the road.

I have a phone line back because he fixed it as best as he could but my broadband speed is currently 17.5 and 4.5 my guaranteed speed is meant to be 27.5 and 5.5 but no matter who I go with unless the cable is replaced I am never gonna get anywhere near this my issue is who is held responsible for replacing the line, Spoken to neighbours and they all have the same issue but we’re not informed that there is a fault with the cable so everybody’s paying for service they’re never gonna receive

41 REPLIES 41
RoyB
Legend

@Tina1 

Any prospect of FTTP (Superfast Fibre) where you are? 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tina1
Advocate

Well my package I am on is meant to be super fibre but it’s not in my area at the moment which I knew when I took it but they said it was the same price as the basic package as it was on an offer and Still is so no point in downgrading according to the open reach engineer there is nothing scheduled to hit my street any time soon and I did have a better speed up until the 15th of September which is When he said the system tells him that the fault occurred and basically until they take the road up and put in a new cable which would rectify the fault this is the best it’s gonna get oh and I’m in Clacton on Sea

RoyB
Legend

@Tina1 

SuperFibre and Fab Fibre are Now’s marketing names for their VDSL FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) services, where it’s copper from cabinet to home, and this is probably what’s knackered.

With SuperfastFibre (which Now don’t offer) the fibre runs all the way to your home.

Openreach are rolling this out as fast as they can, which perhaps helps to explain their reluctance to fix some of their old infrastructure; but if they aren’t getting FTTP to you anytime soon, they really ought to come and fix your old stuff.

See if you can persuade Now Broadband to take up the cudgels on your behalf with Openreach, and if you can get your neighbours to do the same with their broadband suppliers, the resulting GBH of the ear’ole (©️ Arthur Daley) may persuade Openreach to relent.

In the meantime, it may be small comfort, but even if you had only been promised 17.5 Mbps by Now, they would still have charged you what you are currently paying,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tina1
Advocate

The guy showed me where the two faults lie one is going into the unit that then feeds mine and the neighbours houses which is only about 50inches away but he can’t get to it and the other is about a foot in the other direction 

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Tina1 

FTTP is Ultrafast Fibre, not Superfast Fibre.

Ultrafast Full Fibre Broadband | Openreach

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach wrote:

@RoyB wrote:

@Tina1 

It's called different things by different providers, just to confuse the issue further. As long as we all know what we are referring to that's what matters.  😉

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

It's called different things by different providers, just to confuse the issue further. As long as we all know what we are referring to that's what matters.  😉

Not if the intended readers of the post don't.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach wrote:

I agree, I did say "all." And calling it "Ultrafast" doesn't help either. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

And calling it "Ultrafast" doesn't help either. 

I think it does, that is Openreach's name for it, and they supply it.