cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cheesypuff79
Advocate

Broadband only via landline?

Hi Everyone x 

I am in a new property and have been "landline-less" since 2020. I only use my mobile phone and very happy with my freedom lol. I bought a router and an extra unlimited data sim from Three network to use as my home broadband.  It's excellent, but just curious about trying Now Broadband as I'm an existing long time Now TV subscriber. Do I HAVE to get a landline to get Now Broadband? 

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Cheesypuff79 

Yes you do. As NOW only offer FTTC they must install a phone socket for the broadband to be installed.

If you are able to go with a FTTP provider for anything over 100mb then you don’t need a landline.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Cheesypuff79 

Also just because you have a landline as part of the broadband package, it doesn’t mean you need to use it. My broadband package comes with a landline, but I don’t even have anything plugged in!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 wrote:

@Cheesypuff79 

Also just because you have a landline as part of the broadband package, it doesn’t mean you need to use it. My broadband package comes with a landline, but I don’t even have anything plugged in!

@gavs82008 

Wow - I have to have a router plugged in to get my broadband 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite 2

There are ( roughly) four ways to get internet access  to a property

Mobile phone / cell tower / phone mast  to a dongle or 3G/4/5G router/mifi device - as you have/ are already doing

WiMax ( or fixed wireless access) usually found in rural areas and Hull, where you have an antenna that looks like a cross between a TV aerial and a squashed satellite dish where the internet is provided form a remote transmitting/receiving site

Satelite, an expensive option suited for areas with no other option

Fixed line connections , where the internet is delivered by  a line that runs over or under ground .

in the case of Now they use openreaches copper based network, over which two services are available : internet and voice. the line is assigned an identification number that is the same as what you would call a land line number.

The voice service is on a take it or leave it basis, if you dont use it or dont want to use it then you dont pay for it, if you want to use it then you pay for it by call charges or by taking out a package/subscription ( evenings/weekends/anytime etc)

One thing you may need to check is with it being a new build ( ie within the last 5 - 10 years) is what services are available ? i have some new builds near m, one of which is virgin media only no openreach, the other is openreach FTTP ( full fibre only) and the other is persimon homes "fibre nest"  only, and on those three you can not get now broadband.

In the case of persimons fibre nest, or virgin media exclusivity i would stick with the three mobile solution, if openreach fttp is available then i would look at the options