cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ensipi
Advocate

Apple Private Relay

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems recently with performance whist their Apple Private Relay is enabled on their Apple devices? If so, have you managed to work out how to keep it on and have full broadband performance?

many thanks

NCP

15 REPLIES 15
Boomish
Mentor

@RoyB 

@RoyB You thought my question was a “tinfoil hat” question?? Where the hell did you get that from? & then you doubt it’s even true so you leave an unhelpful and rude reply. Why do you think I posted the problem in the first place. 
Finally found the answer as customer service was no help, 11 months we’ve had this problem & it only exists on the Now TV network and that’s because it’s the Now TV “Broadband Buddy” internet filter causing the problem with Apple Private Relay. And to answer your question yes Apple Private Relay can show it’s in the UK but it still doesn’t work. 

Khey
Advocate

I recently switched to NowTV broadband and have this exact issue. I haven’t yet contacted them to see if there’s a fix. As this is related to their broadband service, not their steaming service, I don’t see any content provider obligations needing to be fulfilled. I don’t even have NowTV streaming services enabled or subscribed to. When I used EE for my broadband and watched the odd NowTV stream, it worked fine over Apple’s Private Relay. So even that argument doesn’t stack up. 

MarkoNo
Advocate

Just had the same issue. Spoke to their tech support. They turned off “Broadband Buddy” and private relay working again. 

Khey
Advocate
It worked! Thank you so much.
Jayach
Elite 3

@Boomish 

You asked a question. 

@Boomish wrote:
is this some kind of filter forcing Apple users to turn it off so their data is no longer protected & can be tracked by NOW TV?

and @RoyB answered it, 

@RoyB wrote:
No.

So what is the problem, that you had to raise it months later??

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

@Boomish didn’t like my bald ‘No’, and liked my expansion of it even less, which is why I didn’t expand upon it originally.

Nonetheless, the ‘No’ is borne out now the issue seems to have been found - that Broadband Buddy doesn’t like it - and once taken out of the equation, Now Broadband is happy to continue normally with customers using Private Relay.

As I have just said elsewhere, never ascribe to conspiracy that which can be ascribed to cockup; and it would seem that Broadband Buddy, in going about its admittedly difficult and delicate task, doesn’t like some aspect of Private Relay.

Nothing sinister, I reckon; it just can’t satisfy itself that things are as safe as they need to be when that is running. Perhaps now the issue is diagnosed, Now can have a look at exactly what Broadband Buddy is baulking at with Private Relay, and remedy it,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.