cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nk0133
Advocate

All devices connected to NOWTV Router think we live in Washington DC, USA...

As said above – I live in a house with 4 flatmates and we have had NOW TV Broadband for the past 6 months.

We've just discovered that all of our devices connected to the WiFi think our default browser locations are in the USA – all of our google search results, etc. are tailored to Washington, DC and list prices in dollars, etc. This has all happened seemingly independently and at varying times.

When I use an IP Address locator it comes up as a London IP address but a browser location finder shows up a location in Washington.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is there a way to resolve it?

10 REPLIES 10
chilli2
Elite

Someone using a VPN?

Jayach
Elite 3

@nk0133 

Can you give an example of a browser location finder ? I've never heard on one of those.

nk0133
Advocate

@Jayach This was a website that showed me my IP address location and where my browser thought my geolocation was. https://mylocation.org/ 

I don't think anyone is using a VPN in the house – would that affect other devices also connected to the router?

Jayach
Elite 3

@nk0133 

Interesting. Browsers use various methods of discovering your location, other than just your I.P. address. 

Try using that same link, but in a browser you have not used before. i.e. if you normally use Chrome, try it in Firefox.

RoyB
Legend

@nk0133 

That link thinks I am in Stamford. I’m not, I’m miles away, and fast.com Show More Information after the initial search locates me much closer to where I really live. Try that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

I've found the whats my IP locations to be hopelessly inacurate, however they usualy get the country correct(ie UK)

seebee
Scholar

@nk0133 Confirm you are connected directly to NOW broadband - Go to ipinfo.io  and post here the first 2 octets of the "ip" field (no need to tell us the full IP address), and also the "org" field. For example I see:

ip: "90.208. ...
org: "AS5607 Sky UK Limited"

You could also try the IPv6 versions at v6.ipinfo.io  - again just the first two parts of the "ip" address. For example I see:
ip: "2a02:c7c: ...
org: "AS5607 Sky UK Limited"

Both AS numbers are correct, as NOW are part of Sky.

Both mine say "London" currently (I'm in Staffordshire), but sometimes I see the IPv4 location is accurate whilst IPv6 is not, sometimes vice versa, depending on what dynamic addresses I've been given by NOW at the time. It is always the correct country.

FYI - You can also ask the site for specific fields by putting them at the end of the URL, and also do it from a Windows 10 command line as curl is included eg

C:\> curl https://ipinfo.io/org
AS5607 Sky UK Limited

(For me, the site you mentioned https://mylocation.org/  does show my correct location, well about 3 miles away which is good for Geolocation)

Odran-W
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@nk0133 test

Jayach
Elite 3

@Odran-W wrote:

@nk0133 test

?????????????