cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5 minutes with Now TV broadband and unhappy

Good morning

I have just moved my broadband to Now TV and I have lost 20% of my speed overnight.  I am about 200m from a fibre cabinet and am always synchronising at 80 down and 20 up with a net speed of up to 76mb/s and an upload of 19mb/s.

My now TV is synching at 63 with an upload of 20.  Net speed around 58mb/s.

Now TV says they do not traffic shape/throttle but it clear something is far from right.  I know it says it takes up to 10 days to stabilise but when I looked at the router log it clearly showed synchronising at 79999 down and 19999 up yet the router is showing connected at just under 63.

I phoned tech support who said " we only guarantee 46".  

This is unacceptable, should I cut my losses and go back to my old provider or can I expect the DLM to realise my line is capable of much more and hope it readjusts.

I told the tech support that my line is eligible for G-fast so I will not accept the speed given as the max it can support.

I have 30 days to cancel and I don't want to waste my time sitting on the phone for hours. 

Any advice welcome.

Thank you in advance

28 REPLIES 28
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Before you signed up to NowTV Super Fibre you would have been given the minimum guaranteed speeds for your post code address by NowTV, which will also be quoted on your order acceptance email from NowTV.

If NowTV can't achieve these quoted promised speeds and you have given them a chance to resolve it, then you have the right to cancel.

More information in this linked guide below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/glossary-of-broadband-speed-terms 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schnapps

Great name.  Thank you, I get that but that is not the issue.  The issue is I know what my line is capable of yet I have lost 20% overnight.

Estimate was up to 76 which is my norm although the guarantee is there but 46mb/s is unacceptable.

The advert clearly says unlimited with no traffic shaping and it is quite clear the speed I am at just now is set by Now TV and bears no relation the the capability of the line.

I had a fault cleared a few months ago and BT are quite clear my line is perfect, I am just over 200m from the cabinet in a rural area.  There is no loss anywhere so anything below 79999 must be the provider.

Thanks

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Lines can take up to 10 days to stabilise after a change of supplier. This is in part due to different equipment being installed in the exchange and cabinet, although since you had fibre with your previous suppler, the latter probably doesn’t apply. If you don’t see any improvement after 10 days, then you could consider jumping ship.

Are you using a wifi connection to test your speed? Doing it that way will always give a lower speed that an ethernet connection will give due to latency and interference from other devices sharing to waveband (not just yours, but everyone within a couple of hundred yards). Also, don’t forget that as you’ve changed supplier, you’re (probably) not using the same router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks

It's not about the speed in the house, its the speed synchronising with the exchange.  I always synched at 80 with a net speed in the 70's wifi or wired.  If I am only synching at 63, that is a huge loss to bear.

My connection could handle 8k video previously, it can't now.

It's not the line so has to be the provider.

Regards

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Ah, but there is new equipment at the exchange end of your line. This now has to train itself to the highest speed the line can support. This takes time, especially as the new equipment has no idea what the old equipment was capable of. Therefore it will start at a low(ish) safe speed, and gradually increase until it finds the maximum it can support. 

If you went back to your old supplier, you will get low speeds to start with as well.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you

Will watch with interest

Best wishes

Neil

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So here we are 10 days later and in a word, awful.

16 meg on a speed test tonight synching at 79999.

I have the history of previous tests and this is a third of my lowest speed with Talktalk.

The tests are consistent as taken at the same time with the same computer in the same room.

I tried to change the wifi channel but there is no option on the router.

Ch36, 80 or 40 or ch44 at 40.

Your advice please or this has to go.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Can't help with the internet speeds you are receiving, but under the NowTV Hub 2 web browser interface settings you can split up both the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi bands and manually select the wifi channel on both bands.

Have a read of this link article where there is a section about splitting the two wifi bands on the NowTV Hub 2 Router.

Once you are in the web settings you can also manually select the wifi channel (under the wireless tab).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed-by-changing-wi-fi-channel 

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

I have done the above on my NowTV Hub 2 Router apart from i left the wifi channel option on automatic.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for that, have done that but no other channel options at 80ghz other than 36.  I am reasonably switched on with IT so switched off wifi, connected with ethernet cable and recorded 30mb/s.  My guarantee is 46, my old guarantee was 64 with my previous company.

I know my line is clear, I know my primary socket is brand new, I know my sync is 79999 down.

My norm with talktalk was around the 72-76 mark night or day so it has to be a NOW TV issue.

I left them because when things did go wrong, they were useless and it took 3 weeks to speak to someone who had the ability to trouble shoot and reset the connection.

Will phone them tomorrow

Many thanks