cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Des147
Mentor

1st day live Dynamic line management question

Hi new to the community new to Now BB went live jan 13th at 12 mins past midnight everything went to plan well done Now. I realise it can take 10 days for line speed to settle so taking this into consideration but have a question reqaurds to this. 

As stated went live with Superfast product and instantly installed my Now hub 2 after several speed tests I was getting 58 mb down 18 up, my estimate was 58 to 68 with garunteed 57. Then I started having issue all of that day forcing me to constantly turn off hub as I tried different set ups an issue resolved now. Basically I have Cat 4 only 4 core ethernet cable under my living room carpet fitted to an 8 port access switch and none of my devices would connect on LAN and what resolved the issue was the setting in Hub turning ports from Gigabite to Fast ethernet. Soon as that was changed all my devices were found an connected.

It took me best part of 18 hours fault finding turning router off many times untill I sused 4 core cable on Gigabite port ruins setup on the Now hub.

Today my speed tests even with devices plugged direct into hub bypassing acess switch cable ect is only 37 mb down 9 up I get the same reading over Wifi. I notice my Hub sync at 40000  downstream 9997 upstream.

Is this likely to change within the next 10 days by DLM working out the best stable speed or has my faffing about on day 1 of going live continuously rebooting Hub fooled the DLM into thinking my line was unstable and dropped me down below the garunteed speed of 57 mbs down 18mbs up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hello, @Des147 The worst thing anyone can do while the line is settling-in is to constantly turn the router off and on. As you’ve found, this causes the equipment at the exchange to think there is s line fault/poor quality line. If you leave it alone, it should eventually go back up to the guaranteed speed (or close to it). If it is no better after 10 days, give the broadband team a call.

I’d also recommend cat-5 or better cable instead of your cat-4. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hello, @Des147 The worst thing anyone can do while the line is settling-in is to constantly turn the router off and on. As you’ve found, this causes the equipment at the exchange to think there is s line fault/poor quality line. If you leave it alone, it should eventually go back up to the guaranteed speed (or close to it). If it is no better after 10 days, give the broadband team a call.

I’d also recommend cat-5 or better cable instead of your cat-4. 

Des147
Mentor

Now that my device connectivity issue is resolved I wont be needing to touch my setup again so hopefully things will work itself out. Just out if curiousity is the Now Broadband call center based in UK.

redchiz1
Champion 2

It is. And in the UK we spell it "centre."

Des147
Mentor

I was told at school never start a new sentence with and!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shame they didn't teach you something useful, like don't keep rebooting your router during the training period.

Des147
Mentor

I was taught to keep my neb out of others business @Anonymous User 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

😜

RoyB
Legend

@Des147 said

I was told at school never start a new sentence with and!!

Have you checked yourself to see if there is an update available?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

The constant turning off of the hub is likely to have caused DLM to adjust your speeds downwards, you look to be on a fixed profile at the moment. It is an entirely automated Openreach system and ISPs cannot do anything about it. Now that all is well and as long your connection continues uninterrupted then DLM should improve things, but it can take a few days for this to take place. Keep an eye on your sync speeds.