cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tennis_Fan
Mentor

Streaming error THEO_ERROR.5002.MAIN_CONTENT on Samsung tv

I've been trying to watch the catch up tennis matches on my Samsung TV with very limited success. The majority of the time when I try I get the error THEO_ERROR.5002.MAIN_CONTENT. Very occasionally it works, but this is extremely rare. I can stream the catch up matches on my laptop, so suggests I have no problem receiving the stream to my address. Anyone had anything similar and fixed it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nitro
Scholar 3

@Tennis_Fan TheoPlayer is very rarely used - most new samsungs use shaka player, which is more adaptable to bitrate (slower speeds) - I haven't come across Theo in a very long time.

My recommendation - get an external device, with NOW, and connect it to your tv - will save you more hassle in the long run, unless you are planning to upgrade your tv.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RoyB
Legend

@Tennis_Fan 

Google is your friend:-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/consumer-electronics/ohwcd-i-m-getting-error-code-theo-error-5002-main-...

Somebody paid for that answer, which doesn’t include my goto fix for Samsung TVs; unplug it from the mains, wait at least two minutes for the electrons to die, and then plug it back in and try again.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tennis_Fan
Mentor

Hope nobody did pay for that, there's no answer in there - just a switch off / switch on a few things and see (hope) if it makes a difference. I did Google but nothing obvious came up, the usual list of things with a partial match. The question that needs answering is what does that error mean - it has a specific code so it must be for a specific reason. I hoped the community would have an idea, as I didn't want to go direct to Now because I have no confidence that I'd get a decent response.

Nitro
Scholar 3

@Tennis_Fan Theo Error!, is your tv a 2016 Samsung?

Tennis_Fan
Mentor

@Nitro Could be, I've had it for at least seven years, if not more. Is there a known issue with these?

Nitro
Scholar 3

@Tennis_Fan TheoPlayer is very rarely used - most new samsungs use shaka player, which is more adaptable to bitrate (slower speeds) - I haven't come across Theo in a very long time.

My recommendation - get an external device, with NOW, and connect it to your tv - will save you more hassle in the long run, unless you are planning to upgrade your tv.

Tennis_Fan
Mentor

@Nitro thanks for this, makes sense. I can connect my laptop to the TV so will use that if needed in future

RoyB
Legend

@Tennis_Fan 

Be aware, though, that using a laptop limits you to 720p and stereo, even if you have the Boost that should give you HD 1080p and 5.1 surround 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tennis_Fan
Mentor

@RoyB thanks for this Roy, fortunately neither of those limitations are an issue for us 😉

Nitro
Scholar 3

@Tennis_Fan most welcome.