cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanB
Scholar

Sony TV freezing

I have a Sony xr55A80J Smart TV. Watching Now TV (Sports) the TV sometimes completely freezes up. Nothing works from the remote only option is to switch off at plug. I have taken to doing a TV restart each day which closes off the Now app and that is ok, but I shouldn't have to do that. Interestingly I also have the Sony xr55A90J and that has never had an issue. I have a call open with Sony, but you get all the usual questions like do a factory reset etc. which I've done twice to no avail. Other apps like iplayer, discovery plus etc. all seem to be fine. I use Now superfast Broadband and it is perfectly reliable and TVs are ethernet wired so there aren't any network issues

Does anyone have any experience of this or thoughts?. Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
RoyB
Legend

@IanB 

Those two TVs are very much of a family; can you check the version of the Now app running on each - it’s in Settings/My Account - see if they are the same, and update the app if not?

The other thing Sony will tell you to check is that the TV software is up to date, which hopefully you have also done.

But Sony TVs are not what they once were, and despite an unbeatable picture, they come with a host of niggles, of which this may be one. 

Have you got a stick, or similar device, with the Now app on, that you can use on the TV for now?

A resource very similar to this Community, for Sony, is:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bd-p/Android_TV

You could try asking there if anyone has seen anything similar, e.g.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bbc-iplayer-freezing/m-p/3923800#

But like a lot of threads here, the OP was a driveby poster who posed their question, received a considered reply that they may or may not ever have seen, and never replied further, so no resolution there 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
IanB
Scholar

Thanks for replying Roy. Much appreciated. Just checked and yes both TVs are on 5.8.1-Androidtv-gb and yes software is up to date on the TV. I opened a case with Sony but expect usual questions. It's not a big deal to restart but it shouldn't be necessary and whilst under warranty worth trying to get a resolution I feel

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@IanB 

It's not just NOW where it can freeze up and crash the TV. Has happened a few times with Paramount+ for me. 
Thankfully the remote was responsive, albeit slow and managed to do a reboot using the standby hold down for a few seconds. 

What I have found is not to delete the app, but sometimes a clearing of the cache will sort it out. 

That said, I have started to move away from my Sony TV apps for the Apple TV 4K box. Although using my VPN is still handy for Paramount and Disney international libraries. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
IanB
Scholar

Thanks Gav. I don't use Paramount+ personally. I agree possibly clearing cache would do but as I said restarting the TV each morning (no that I should have to) which presumably closes open apps and cache etc.

Whether relevant I don't use VPN on this particular TV but on the A90J upstairs that does work I have PIA VPN and it's all fine on that one

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@IanB 

What the restarting of the TV is doing is another way of force closing all open apps. It won't have any affect on the cache I believe?

That said what you are doing should certainly be enough to sort it out. However we know technology can be a pain in the rear when it works on one device and not another despite being the same!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

I don't own a Sony Android Smart TV, but if you haven't tried already I would see if using Google Public DNS on the Sony TV in question to see if this helps with the NOW App.

Do you have any other Memberships apart from NOW Sports to see if these other NOW Memberships experience the same issue when using the NOW App.

Also has a temporary test if wifi in the room where the Sony TV is located has a good wifi coverage,then see if the NOW Sports plays without freezing when using wifi.

Then swap back to Ethernet (this has worked for me in the past on the NOW branded boxes and worth a try on your Sony Smart TV).

IanB
Scholar

I am wondering if the Cache has something to do with it. Yesterday I cleared the cache rather than rebooting. This morning I went into settings/apps and Now was not showing in the recently opened list!. Opened Now and hasn't yet frozen. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@IanB 

That’s really interesting, as I was coming across a similar problem with UKTV Play on the Sony Bravia, constantly failing to load. Granted I had my VPN on which has been upgraded to include ad blocking, shockingly handy for My5 and Pluto. 

However after multiple force closes and app cache clearing it finally worked! That said there was 2 updates for both VPN and UKTV play, but being able to watch something there without the third party ads is insanely pleasing.

IanB
Scholar

Quick update. I cleared the cache and also removed and readded the Now app last week. Since then it has worked without issue

I logged a call with Sony and of course they asked tons of questions, and since they haven't come back to me since last week I reckon they have closed the call without my permission!. They wanted a video of the issue, which I explained I couldn't do without another error occurring - doh! and even if I did send a video it would just show my hand pressing the remote showing that no button presses or holds have any affect with the screen frozen in time and no sound. I can't see the status on My Sony but will leave it a week and then contact them again. This is typical of the sort of support from Sony I've found in the past and pretty unhelpful