cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quarter Screen Problems on Apple TV Box on 4K

So I've been happily using the Now TV app on my Apple TV box for a few months now. 

I just updated by TV to a 4K model and since then now tv plays video on the top left quarter of the screen only. (I assume swapping the TV caused the Apple TV box to reconfigure it's output to suit the new TV)

All Now menus, tv guide etc. show full screen but as soon as a show is started the video only runs in the top left corner of the screen.

I manually configured the video output from the Apple box to be 1920x 1080, and then video showed full screen, but that means either writing off 4k on all my other AppleTV use (Netflix, YouTube, AppleTV+, iPlayer all work correctly), or constantly switching between the video output modes. 

or I could just leave it at 4k and not bother with Now.

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What i would check on your new 4K television if under the HDMI menu settings there is an option to switch to something like Enhanced mode.

Also see if the television menu has a setting for Deep Colour and see if the HDMI cable you are using is high speed spec.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't own an Apple TV box to see if the problem is more widespread with the NOW App.

But type the symptoms into the Community search box for any results.

I know the older NOW TV boxes had some reports on a quarter use of screen going back a while (perhaps there is something on those threads that will point you in the right direction).

Or hopefully an Apple 4K TV box owner on the forum can assist further.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am assuming you have tried a fresh NOW App download from the ATV Apps Store, just in case the first version was corrupted somehow during the download process.

I would be tempted to try another HDMI port also on your television, plus temporary unplugging the power to both your ATV and new television for just a minute.

Hopefully an ATV 4K owner will come to your rescue on what needs doing / changing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

All other apps on the box (Netflix, iPlayer, AppleTV+) work perfectly when the 4K output is selected, so I'm pretty sure the TV HDMI port/settings and HDMI cable are up to standard.

The image quality is excellent on the other apps, although I appreciate that Now without the boost would not be great quality.

The menus/tv guide for Now appear perfectly and full screen, it's only the video once I select a channel that goes to 1/4 screen.

At this point I'm assuming Now App on AppleTV box is the problem, but I can't find a way to force updates. I do have autoupdates selected on the Apple box, but that's saying everything is up to date.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have asked the regular ATV owners who contribute on this linked thread below if they have any ideas and if they can help you further.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Update-Now-TV-app-for-apple-TV/td-p/366659/page/267 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many Thanks for that!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Hopefully you will get some help from other ATV owners.

I am assuming it's happening on all NOW content you have watched and not one particular TV show or movie on the NOW App ?

if it is on all NOW content, then it sounds to me that when starting to play NOW content it is struggling to up convert / up scale the 720p feed (with the non Boost stream to the native resolution of your new 4K television panel to ensure the picture up scales to the full size of your television screen).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Whilst waiting for other forum members replies.

Maybe have a read of this from the Roku Community Forum, where perhaps try some of the suggestions which has things in common with your ATV box or television.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/picture-size-I-only-have-a-small-picture-in-the-corner-of-my-screen/td-p/558806 

InnerZone
Advocate

I have this problem on my Roku SS+, my Apple TV 4K works fine.

With the Roku I find it only happens if I switch another app off and go to Now TV. If I go straight to Now TV from a mains power up it is OK.

Maybe that will help?