cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinC
Mentor

Poor picture on new lg 4k smart tv when watching now tv sport via the lg Home Screen or via chromeca

Just bought lg smart 4k tv.   Picture very good on tv channels in standard and HD.  But football on now tv is poor… angry haze and cherry movements of ball and players.  This is the case on the lg now tv option and using chromecast ( have Boost).

CN anything be done Elise have to watch on non 4k tv which is just fine but not what I want or should need to do !

Martin C

• LG
13 REPLIES 13
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MartinC 

Really daft question, does your new TV not have the NOW app available? As many users complain about casting NOW to TVs. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
MartinC
Mentor

Yes new tv has NOW TV app. Problem is there with it and also when casting using Chromecast 2nd Gen.  

casting to my old  non 4k was and is fine.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MartinC 

With regards to the LG native NOW App you won't get 50fps when watching NOW Sports with a Boost Membership which improves the motion when watching fast sports such has football when you have a suitable playback device from the list on the link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device 

What generation of Chromecast do you have ?

With regards to the haze you might be seeing the dreaded Camouflage artefacts with live NOW Sports.

Does the haze appear when watching the Sports on Demand content has well or only live NOW Sports? 

I can see the camouflage artefacts when watching live NOW Sports on all my devices, where by far the worst culprit for me out of all the devices I own is the Chromecast 4K Google TV where it seems to amplifier the camouflage haze much more than my other devices (which is a shame because I like the picture on screen from the Chromecast Google 4K TV apart from NOW live Sports).

MartinC
Mentor

Thanks for taking time to reply!  
Not sure I understand the implication of first part of answer re 50 fps on LG Native NOW TV Ap.

Have 2nd generation Chromecast.

Haze still present with on demand Now tv football using lg native as well as live on lg native ap.  Also there using chromecast on lg 4k with Web OS

As mentioned watching now tv football on my non-4k tvs is fine via chromecast 2nd gen.  Has  standard set up as far as I know.  What do you mean by setup?

You mention camouflage artefacts… Do Now Tv accept that as a problem?

thanks again

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MartinC 

Forgot to ask what is your setup on the non 4K TV which you find the picture acceptable when watching NOW Sports? 

Are you using the same Chromecast device or another external device or the native NOW App on the non 4K TV ?

MartinC
Mentor

Hi schnapps

It’s the same Chromecast using 4k TV and on non 4k tv.   All fine on non 4k, hazy and jerky on the 4k.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MartinC 

I don't think you are seeing the camouflage picture artefacts, because it seems to only happen on the live streams and not on for example Sports on Demand from my experience.

Both your playback devices only supports 25fps when watching NOW with your Boost Membership and not 50fps for NOW live Sports which in my opinion is a far better experience when watching NOW live Sports.

With the higher frame rate for watching live Sports, when watching fast movements the picture will look smoother with move detail in the movement when watching at 50fps compared to 25fps.

When you tested the Chromecast on both TV's were they in the same location and position in the same room ?

Also double check both the television and Chromecast is outputting 50hz (I haven't used a Chromecast in a few years so can't remember if there is a display setting or not) if you are seeing micro picture stutter.

With regards to the picture difference between your two TV's, maybe the picture processing on the older TV is doing a better job than your 4K TV if the wifi and download speed is the same when testing the Chromecast.

Where it has to upscale the 1080p Boost Membership feed to 1080p so no upscaling is done, where your 4K TV needs to upscale from 1080p Boost to 4K native resolution of your 4K screen (assuming you are getting a 12 Mbps down speed or higher at the Chromecast).

Also, maybe have a play around with your 4K TV motion settings.

Without seeing the picture between both TV's when using the Google Chromecast with my own eyes it's difficult to tell why there is a difference with the PQ when watching live NOW Sports.

When using the NOW native App on your LG Smart TV (instead of Chromecast) are you using it over Ethernet rather than wifi ?

MartinC
Mentor

Thanks for your replies,

So if Now TV app on LG 4k and using chromecast V2 are only giving 25fps, how can I get 50fps?

The new LG has replaced one Panasonic (which was giving good picture).  Have a different Panasonic in a different room which is also giving good results.   Neither of those is 4k.  Both over 10 years old.

Not sure where to look to check 50hz output.  I’ll try the lg tv motion settings if I can find them!

the lg 4k tv is connected by Ethernet.

where would I look for which devices restricted to 720p with Boost?

Thanks again!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MartinC 

See my first post with the link for "what is the highest streaming quality for my devices".

This will give you information on what devices can provide 1080p and 25fps or 50fps with Boost.

Out of curiosity is your two Panasonic TV's Plasma's or LCD's ?

When watching live NOW Sports 50fps is top priority for me (wish NOW would also include 50fps with Boost for Bonus Streams and Sports on Demand).

Not sure about the grey haze you are seeing on your 4K TV.