cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV app has constant issues casting from phone to Chromecast on AndroidTV

I recently bought a new AndroidTV which has a built in Chromecast and resubscribed to NowTV which I cast to my TV from my Android phone.

At first I was having problems where upon tapping the episode I wanted to start I'd get a "Viewing stopped. Something's gone wrong. If the problem persists, contact Online Support Team" error without it even loading anything, but usually on second or third try it'd load up on my TV, but then at some point during the episode it would randomly stop playback, and I'd have to reload it, often getting that same error again before loading successfully. And of course when I kept going back to restart episodes, the app wasn't always remembering where I was in them so then I'd have to scrub to the right place. And inevitably at some other point down the line, playback would stop again etc etc.

I've just had a chat with someone on live chat who basically told me apart from all the troubleshooting steps (restarting router, reinstalling app, reinstalling chromecast on google home, rebooting chromecast via tv, etc) all I could do would be to wait on a software update. I've gone back to the app to try again just now and the second I try and do anything with chromecast I get the error, nothing loads now at all, unless I've 'stopped casting' and it's just playing directly on the phone. I've uninstalled the app a couple of times now to retry and no luck.

Has anyone else had these problems? And ever found a solution? It's literally the worst user experience.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the same problems here as you describe.  I now cant watch anything at all.

Router rebooted, Chromecast rebooted and factory reset, phone rebooted and now TV app reinstalled. Can't play anything. BBC iPlayer casts without problem. 

When is this getting sorted NOW TV???

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got off live chat and its fixed for me.
Unplug the power from your chromecast for 25-30 seconds then was working.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem.   I use the Android app to cast to my Sony Android TV.   It all worked fine on Monday (3 days ago) but yesterday I got the "Something has gone wrong" message.  No software has been updated anywhere, app is latest.  Rebooted the router, TV, tablets and wifi.   I tried out a Chromecast device attached to the TV, same error.   All other apps on tablets and PCs are able to cast as before, and to the chromecast dongle.  It is just Now that has stopped working.    Very frustrating when different people on the house are part-way through watching different boxsets.  Any help gratefully received.   Can't easily find the online chat, will try that when I do.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just discovered I have got the same issue trying to cast from android devices..

Instead..same devices cast Netflix without any problems..

Hope it s a temporary issue of Now tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So this seems to be a known problem. Me too. Never had the issue before but started playing up yesterday. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here.  Set up Chromecast - all working well apart from Now TV. Exactly the same issues and error messages.

I have all the mentioned issues and also it randomly plays re next episode before the one I'm watching has finished.

Also, some of the chromecast remote functions don't work with Now TV

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User if you're using a Sony Android TV like others have mentioned in the thread, there is a dedicated NowTV app available from the play store. You can check you have a compatible model from the linked article.

https://advanced-television.com/2020/09/30/now-tv-launches-on-sony-android-tv/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thx for the quick reply.

I don't have a Sony.  My TV doesn't have dedicated app.

I have a pioneer plasma TV.  All other casting works fine via Chromecast with Google TV.  It's only  NowTV that ha syhis issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue with a Panasonic Android TV released in 2021. It could be great to use dedicated App instead of cast it from the phone. I do not understand why my TV does not have even if it is an Android TV.